Gatlinburg Question

xvigauge

Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about fishing the West Prong of the Little Pigeon River in Gatlinburg? I know it is stocked, but will the stocked trout take flies or is this stretch strictly a bait and corn section? If they will hit flies, which ones seem to work best? I also am aware that a special daily permit from the city is required.
Joe

jayr

Reaction score
The biggest problem in fishing in Gatlinburg is Gatlinburg. Traffic, crowds and parking are difficult most if not all of the time. Be aware that certain days are closed to fishing in Gatlinburg as I recall.

xvigauge

Reaction score
Yeah, I know it is closed to fishing on Thursdays as that is when the stocked trout are planted. Any answers to the other questions? Maybe Townsend would be a better choice for stocked trout as it is less crowded and access may be better.
Joe

jayr

Reaction score
Yeah, I know it is closed to fishing on Thursdays as that is when the stocked trout are planted. Any answers to the other questions? Maybe Townsend would be a better choice for stocked trout as it is less crowded and access may be better.
Joe
Townsend is much easier to get to and around.

Also, check out the Cherokee National Forest, both north and south.

madison320

Reaction score
I know it's not what you asked, but if you like beautiful small water with wild fish try the Little River along the Little River Trail. The trailhead is just past the Elkmont campground.

Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about fishing the West Prong of the Little Pigeon River in Gatlinburg? I know it is stocked, but will the stocked trout take flies or is this stretch strictly a bait and corn section? If they will hit flies, which ones seem to work best? I also am aware that a special daily permit from the city is required.
Joe
Years ago my friend and I would fish the Gatlinburg city waters a few times a year. The fish were pretty easy to catch and we usually ended up with an audience of tourists watching. We caught them on generic nymphs like wooly worms. Then one trip my buddy broke out a "corn fly" that I believe was a carp fly. He cleaned my clock that day until he lost that fly. I would say a corn fly, or an egg pattern would be the ticket there. The trout were all recent stockers, except we saw a brown trout come out from under an undercut rock wall bank. That brown was at least 8-10lbs+ and swam out to take a look at a stocker we had hooked up. We called it Ditch Fishing but it was actually quite fun.

jonbo

Reaction score
I know it's not what you asked, but if you like beautiful small water with wild fish try the Little River along the Little River Trail. The trailhead is just past the Elkmont campground.
I fished just upstream from the Elkmont campground when I went to Gatlinburg a couple of years ago. Loved it! They were hitting little pheasant tails and barr's emergers in about an 18. They're spooky little suckers in those little streams, though. You have to stay low and not flail much, but man, it's fun. (The fish are dinky. It's all about getting them to bite, not in this case, the fight.)

kevind62

Reaction score
Check out the North Carolina Fishing Trail. You're only about an hour and a half drive from the north starting point. Lots of fisherman but not overly crowded. Pretty easy to find a spot to fish. And plenty of decent sized fish. The Tuckasegee is a big river so it's easy to fish. Raven's Fork is a little tighter so casting can be a challenge at times, but the fishing is great. After Raven's Fork runs in to the Oconaluftee it opens up. If you have a drift boat, raft, or pontoon, launch in town and go west. Not a lot of access points so the fishing pressure is very low. Really good fishing on this stretch. The Tuck seemed a bit warm in the summer for trout farther away from the dam. If you fish it in the summer probably need to stay within 10 miles or less from the dam to get cold trout water.

markfrid

Reaction score
I've only fished in town (Gatlinburg) twice. It was ok - caught several on zebra midges and egg flies. But for me, the real fun is up in the park, trying to catch those spooky, wild guys. For that, you need go no farther than Sugarland Visitor Center and fish the West Prong up parallel to the road going up to Clingman's dome. You seldom see the road, even though its just through the trees. Fun, fun pocket water and short runs. The fish are small, but its a blast. Little River Outfitters has a great seach pattern dry fly for pocket water called a Neversink Caddis. Try it in a yellow #16. Give those little wild guys a try - you'll get addicted. The main thing is stealth - if you aren't stealthy those dinks will kick your a--!! Ha-ha!

Mark

jonbo

Reaction score
To revive this thread, it's a little odd for me for to ask questions right now, because my trip to Gatlinburg is planned for almost exactly one year from now (Wifey plans things way ahead), but I'm getting all wound up already. Anyway, I've been perusing maps and reports and beginning to work out a plan. I'll probably get one full day and part of another to fish. Conditions permitting, of course, I will probably do all of my fishing up in the Park. I live in the land of large, but half tame, stocked trout, and, going all the way to the Great Smokies want to fish for wild, smoky mountain trout in fresh little smoky mountain streams. I've done it one other time with great pleasure.

I'm even slightly more particular. I want to fish for brookies (specks?), at least part of the time. The partial day I may just go above Elkmont for the wild bows. I did that last time and it was lovely. But my question is more about specks. From my "studies" I understand there's specks in ******, ******, also *****, and *****. A commenter elsewhere mentioned fishing for a mixture of specks and bows around *****. I understand these are all in different areas (been studying the maps). I will end up fishing only one of them if I'm lucky enough to fish any. I also know of a spot very accessible that the guide I used last time hipped me to, but I'm looking for somewhere maybe a little further up.

Anyway, I was wondering, does anyone have an opinion on whether any of these creeks would be a better target than another during halfway decent conditions, God willing, around the first of January? Again, I'm interested in at least targeting brookies. I caught 2 last time and felt mighty blessed, they were big 6-7 inchers, but I ain't driving 12 hours to the GSM's and not trying to fish for native southern Appalachian brook trout! I don't mind hiking a couple of miles one way if I need to.

I much appreciate any response. You can PM me if you need to. I'm not hinting, really!
Thanks,
Jon Strait
(jonbo)

edit note: I was asked not to mention specific spots, or even streams, so I have edited them out in respect to local wishes.

Last edited:

jayr

Reaction score
To revive this thread, it's a little odd for me for to ask questions right now, because my trip to Gatlinburg is planned for almost exactly one year from now (Wifey plans things way ahead), but I'm getting all wound up already. Anyway, I've been perusing maps and reports and beginning to work out a plan. I'll probably get one full day and part of another to fish. Conditions permitting, of course, I will probably do all of my fishing up in the Park. I live in the land of large, but half tame, stocked trout, and, going all the way to the Great Smokies want to fish for wild, smoky mountain trout in fresh little smoky mountain streams. I've done it one other time with great pleasure.

I'm even slightly more particular. I want to fish for brookies (specks?), at least part of the time. The partial day I may just go above ******** for the wild bows. I did that last time and it was lovely. But my question is more about specks. From my "studies" I understand there's specks in *******, *******, also ********, and ***** Creek. A commenter elsewhere mentioned fishing for a mixture of specks and bows around ****** **********. I understand these are all in different areas (been studying the maps). I will end up fishing only one of them if I'm lucky enough to fish any. I also know of a spot very accessible that the guide I used last time hipped me to, but I'm looking for somewhere maybe a little further up.

Anyway, I was wondering, does anyone have an opinion on whether any of these creeks would be a better target than another during halfway decent conditions, God willing, around the first of January? Again, I'm interested in at least targeting brookies. I caught 2 last time and felt mighty blessed, they were big 6-7 inchers, but I ain't driving 12 hours to the GSM's and not trying to fish for native southern Appalachian brook trout! I don't mind hiking a couple of miles one way if I need to.

I much appreciate any response. You can PM me if you need to. I'm not hinting, really!
Thanks,
Jon Strait
(jonbo)

I primarily fish the GSMNP and have for years.

Most, if not about all brook trout in the Smokies are at high elevation(>3000'). Fishing for them in January will be difficult at best. Due to cold weather and especially in the higher elevations will make for a very trying trip. I would not get my hopes up. Not only cold weather but high water will be your enemy. Those two alone can make fishing at that time of year not only very tough, but dangerous.

Closures of the roads in the Park are much more common this time of the year as well due to snow, ice and trees down due to higher winds. Even getting into the Park might not be possible.

Please keep the naming of Smokies bluelines offline or In IM’s only, otherwise you will really put the pressure on these streams in overload, I've seen it done. With all of the search engines out there it’s really easy to publicize these small streams and put too much pressure on them. I have personally witnessed it. :frown:

Last edited:

jonbo

Reaction score
I don't mean to give away secrets. The areas I mentioned I found on-line with no trouble, mostly from published articles and the blogs of guides and such, so I figured they were public knowledge. But I'll respect your wishes and won't even do that anymore. The one I didn't call by name I was taken to by a guide and thought might be a secret spot to some degree.

I have edited out the names of the streams above though as I don't think you want them mentioned here.

Last edited:

jayr

Reaction score
I don't mean to give away secrets. The areas I mentioned I found on-line with no trouble, mostly from published articles and the blogs of guides and such, so I figured they were public knowledge. But I'll respect your wishes and won't even do that anymore. The one I didn't call by name I was taken to by a guide and thought might be a secret spot to some degree.
Okay, here's the deal.

No, they are not secret. They are on printed maps, books, etc. BUT when you start calling them out online, these posts are now searchable on any one of the dozens of search engines out there. And yes, they are on those search engines already, BUT there is now an easy to find path, if you will, that those that are lazy and not diligent such as the many others are in looking these places up via books, maps, etc. Basically, by posting these small bluelines online the work has now been taken out of it. Not only are there many here that post, there are even hundreds more that lurk and throw that in with all of the search engines out there then you are now well into the thousands who see this. A lot of people out there these days simply want immediate gratification with the minimal amount of work to get there.

Just like in the "old" days of going to the local fly shop and telling everyone how well you did on a particular stream. What happens next............

On some other forums out there, posting of stream names of bluelines will get you blasted and bad if not outright banned from posting.

I have met quite a few on some of these out of the way, secluded streams and pretty much all of them said they found it online.........:frown:

manderson2228

Reaction score
If you are in gaitlinburg i'd recommend making a trip over the mountain and fishing the cherokee area, even out to dillsboro and sylva.

chechem

Reaction score
Hope everyone in Gatlinburg is okay. SERIOUS flooding there this week.
Check before you head that way if planning a trip any time soon.
:(

JDR

Reaction score
If you decide to fish in Cherokee remember that these are all private waters. They are governed by the Cherokee Tribal Council, and have their own rules and fishing license.

One good thing, if you choose to fish in GSMNP is, your temporary, out-of-state license will allow you to fish either the Tennessee or the North Carolina side of the park.

jonbo

Reaction score
Thanks, folks. It I can't go to the high country I'll probably stay around Elkmont and Sugarland, (I think that's what they're called?) unless going over to Cherokee is significantly better. Definitely, though, unless it's blown out I'll be fishing up in the Park somewhere. I can fish tailwaters for larger, not-really-wild trout anywhere in the US, especially in the area where I live.

jayr

Reaction score
If you are planning on fishing the Smokies in the next 1-2 weeks, you better re-schedule.

Right now everything is blown out. This coming week we are expecting anywhere from 3-6 inches of more rain, yes inches.

Also, until it warms up and the rivers drop, fishing in the higher elevations is going to be slow to non existent.

Cherokee tribal waters have C&R sections where there are big fish. They are all from their hatchery. Pay special attention to their regs, they are very different than the GSMNP.

The other thing about going to Cherokee and driving 441 over the top of the Park this time of year is that the NPS closes it quite regularly due to ice, snow and right now due to high water. You may actually get over there, but you may have to drive a much longer route to get back if you’re staying anywhere on the TN side. Even if the road is still open when you drive it, it can get real dicey condition wise. Add to this that cell phones do not work in the Park either.