Bobcats while fishing

fishordietx

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You guys don't post fly fishing videos, sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

falcon53

Reaction score
NW NJ, NE PA, Harvard NY on Upper Delaware
The photo is all blacked out and not viewable. I saw the biggest bobcat I have ever seen last year fly fishing the shad run on the Delaware River. The cat was on a pile of discarded or dead shad and easily weighed 40 lbs. There are alot of cats in NW NJ and NE PA.

randyflycaster

Reaction score
I fish in Montana. Because I fish with a dog - he weighs 70 lbs. - I wonder if I should be concerned about bobcats. Would they go after my dog?

Randy

littledavid123

Reaction score
I fish in Montana. Because I fish with a dog - he weighs 70 lbs. - I wonder if I should be concerned about bobcats. Would they go after my dog?

Randy
I would be concerned about the dog going after a bobcat, it is his home so to speak. :) I wouldn't worry about it, a bobcats first instinct is to run away from anything bigger than it.

Dave

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
First off that black image is actually a Youtube media, however I believe recently direct linking doesn't work. So check the properties of it, and you'll see the link which is: YouTube

That said, thanks for sharing your video, yet it would be interesting to see you fishing with a fly rod instead of spinning gear for those bass. I look forward to future presentations from you!

B.E.F.

---------- Post added at 10:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 AM ----------

Randy
I've seen some large Bobcats, though their size can be deceptive compared to their weight. That said, a full grown Bobcat might have a 3" diameter paw, and those seemingly fragile claws are as tough as nails and sharp as razors, and an inch long.

They are so strong in fact that a friend had a massive Bob he took mounted on a heavy base, and you could lift up the mount and base by a single claw and it wouldn't bend.

Yes, they'll run away often given a chance, yet if they feel a need to fight or attack they'll do that too. There is a reason that even large animals run from housecats, let alone a bobcat. If one decides to fight, at only 15-20#, and if they decide not to stop and run yet to fight, a dog is going to have its hands full, and frankly if the cat was determined enough it could possibly even kill a human (with enough strikes, blood loss).

Best to teach your dog to stay in eyesight, and be willing to break off from a chase or fight on your command. Just be aware that as it is running back to you, that's when it is the most vulnerable.

B.E.F.

falcon53

Reaction score
NW NJ, NE PA, Harvard NY on Upper Delaware
I saw a full mount at a outdoor show and the trapper said it weighed 36 lbs. The one I saw was at least that large. However, you are correct as size can be deceptive. This was a large male. many of the females are 15 lbs or so.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Alright, that clears things up for me I think, it's obvious that you love fishing but this is just a forum for people to talk about fly fishing and all the various aspects of it. If I allow your videos to run then it sets a case of past precedent thus making it unfair to remove a video about bow fishing for carp or pike.

I hope you understand

sawinredneck

Reaction score
Years ago I had a pet wolf, 2/3's wolf, 1/3'd Husky, 75lbs of lean mean "I'm gonna tear you up muscle!" He and I went around regularly, that dominance thing! My dad has 80 acres around Fredonia, the Flint hills of KS. He and I where having a great time, he was running circles around me and they got bigger and bigger, then he was gone! I yelled, called, screamed, nothing, he was gone! I walked the 1/4 plus miles back to the truck, say what you will, I loved this animal! I was in tears by the time I got to my truck, I figured he was gone! Nope, there he was trying to rip the door off my truck trying to get in!
I still don't know what scared him like that, this is over 15yrs ago, but to this day I won't set foot on that property without a loaded gun!

nevadanstig

Reaction score
I guess we have large ones here reading through this thread. I would say the males here average around 30lbs. I see them quite frequently around here. I dont give them much thought. Theyve never acted even with the slightest bit of aggression, and usually take off once you get close enough.
Their 200lbs cousins are also common here, and are MUCH more intimidating.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk