Spey instruction in NM?

troutclout11

Reaction score
I just bought a switch rod but I've never cast two-handed before. Is there any instruction available in NM, more specifically the Albuquerque and Santa Fe areas? I want to take it to the San Juan and actually catch fish not just embarrass myself, ha.;)

Bigfly

Reaction score
Trout....
You are on a journey. An adventure really, and you have already taken the first step.....heck, I feel momentum developing already.
You opened your mind first. Then bought the stick, and now you are trolling (in the older usage) for info. BINGO!!!
I think you should pop over my way for a day. Be a good time for it....it's not far, and after a day you will have it.
Of course, you will lose it, and find it, and lose it, and etc......till it is in your bones.
A fancy roll cast describes it, with a little set up. You can google snap-T and watch, better than I can explain.
I will say that if you fly cast overhand, there is a continuous motion feeling.
Spey is a focus on the rod stops, and line anchors on the water.
My suggestion is to get a Rio Salmo/steel line. It's fishes like a regular wt forward dry line. ( I do it with a dry too...you can just imagine throwing Golden Stone to that rising fish that was always just out of range).
Also fish indy, and swing streamers. But the main difference is I can mend.......which when casting far with the Skagit, you can't.
To me, the mend is a bigger part of catching fish, than casting into the next county.
I've said before, how cool it is , when the the cast bleeds back to the little stick, small water, and fish.
I wish I had learned the Spey cast before all the other casts I was told to use.
Most guys want distance, so they buy a Skagit. I fish one of those as well....but I find it much less versatile.
The switch will be great for the Rio Grand river, not sure, you will blend in on the San Juan.
Not sure I want anyone seeing you doing this....the info should not fall into every hand......
So, which switch?

Jim

Reaction score
Trout....

Of course, you will lose it, and find it, and lose it, and etc......till it is in your bones.

Jim
Ha this kind of sums it up in the early days of the journey!
One tip, I have especially when you are on your own is to whip out your phone and take some notes. Remind yourself what you are doing right when you have a good session or even when you make a good single cast.

The one step forward two step back boogie can be frustrating. A fair amount of the time it's not because you can't do the cast but it's because you are forgetting a important element you did on your last session and are neglecting to do it on your current session.
You need to be diligent about self correction when there's no one there to watch and correct you.

You don't need to take detail notes just simple reminders.
A reminder could be "keep your hands in the box!"

So when you're struggling, make it easy to go back and check yourself.

Bigfly

Reaction score
If you are happy in the box.....it's time to fish....
Like I said, there are fish here.

Jim

SRP99

Reaction score
I just bought a switch rod but I've never cast two-handed before. Is there any instruction available in NM, more specifically the Albuquerque and Santa Fe areas? I want to take it to the San Juan and actually catch fish not just embarrass myself, ha.;)
Are you fishing the San Juan on your own or with a guide? With the right guide you can end up getting a free spey casting lesson. Also, you won't get skunked. Good luck!