How to understand Spey Lines? Help!

Steak

Reaction score
Hi Folks!

I'm a fly fishing fanatic, and after a long time wanting to learn spey casting, I got myself a nice large arbor reel and a new st croix 'Legend Ultra' 14' 8/9wt at a steal!
Now, I need a line.

My situation: I live in North Idaho, fish here, east Washington, and northwest Montana. Bought this rig for the big waters (clearwater, Columbia, Snake). Usually colder water. Wide rivers. Steelhead and salmon.

I don't understand spey lines. Seems they are all kits with different tips, and all very pricey. What am I looking for? I've read about Skagit lines, Shooting heads, and understand the concept, but not the practice.

What line should I get that will enable me to learn, and enable me to catch fish for under $100? I don't need 5 separate tips, just a good line.

Planning on buying a DVD, rio modern spey casting, but still need recommends on line, why, and for what reason.

What is my best resource to learn about spey lines? Skagit? shooting head? Versi-tip? I'm confused....

Anyone have a link, or opinion, of how I can start out with the right line? I would hate to spend a lot of money on something that would not work for what I need, or pay for more than I require...

-Steak

Help!

Last edited:

halo7b

Reaction score
Fly Lines, Fly Leaders, and Fly Fishing Accessories - Rio Mainstream® Spey.

Rio Mainstream line is a great starter line, comes with 3 tips, welded loop, and lists for just under your $100 price. I used this line for my first two handed stick and still recommend it for starting or as a general fishing line. taper is closest to their AFS head yet with a shorter running line. While I'm not a Pro-Spey caster by any way shape or form, I have been swinging flies for a few years now and am speaking from my own time on the water.

good luck and welcome to another addiction.
Jim

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
"Moscapescador" is a member here who works in the tackle business and is also a two hand fly fisher. Last year when I was having the same confusion regarding line to rod relationships he was very patiant and through a series of PM (Privet Messages) he was able to help me to choose a line for my rod.

The transition from what one knows about single hand rod lines to the sometimes vague world of 'Spey' lines can be a challenge. What I know now is that a short head line is helpful when first learning and that after understanding the basic casts I am prepared to move to a more traditional long belly line. As for the proper weight in grains for your rod St Croix will be the best source for you to aim your questions. That is unless Moscapescador has the hands on knowledge with that rod and there is a good chance that he does.

You can find him by looking for his posts in the 'One Word' game and then send him a PM.

Ard

PS. As for price and additional tips; I have found that having a selection of tips is a very handy thing unless you are always going to be fishing in rather shallow water under the same conditions. I was able to buy a SA 550 gr short head system from a seller on the e bay for 49$. I find that I am using the Hi Density tip almost exclusively in the early season.

Steak

Reaction score
Thanks Mosca!

I would appreciate any advice or help you might have.

I don't know a single person who speycasts, so it's difficult to find answers.

St Croix, 14' 8/9 wt Legend Ultra

Large Arbor Reel.

Want quality, but can't afford top of the line.

Just general use. Mostly for Steelhead and Salmon, all freshwater.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Hi Steak,
If you are anywhere near Peck, Idaho, Poppy at the Red Shed Fly Shop is a valuable source. He can get you dialed in for your Spey needs.

Here are a couple of articles to read.
Understanding Spey Lines 2010 by Simon Gawesworth
Skagit Fly Lines by Eoin Fargrave

Your line choice is going to depend on the style you are going to fish. Watch the following video, ABC's of Spey Casting with Steve Rajeff, that was produced by Leland Fly Fishing Outfitters in San Francisco. Steve Rajeff describes the three major styles of Spey casting.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAoJrTlAnkY]YouTube - Leland Fly Fishing Outfitters - ABC's of Spey Casting with Steve Rajeff[/ame]

Most of the year, I fish Skagit style. I swing all sizes of flies deep for trout, steelhead, and American Shad. I also find it the easiest style to fish.

During the late summer into fall, I fish a hybrid style of fishing between traditional and Scandinavian using short headed lines (head around 53'). Do not get these lines mixed up with the shorter shooting head styles (Scandi and Skagit). When I use this style, I am either swinging traditional style steelhead flies or skating surface flies.

I have plenty for you to get started with. If you want to chat specifics, go ahead and continue on the thread. I'll follow up.

MP

Last edited:

JoJer

Reaction score
Just perfect! I got on today because I got a Cabela's XSS for Father's day. I got a deal on a 14" TFO 9 wt, then couldn't afford to rig it! Now I need the same info as Steak: What's a good learner line for the money?

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
MP will be the source for these questions because he is in the business. My experience is that unless you can find someone using the same rod as you and they are having good results with a specific line and weight, you gotta pay to play. My next line will probably be a long belly classic Spey. I am currently using a SA Short Head multi tip system but will be refining that a bit this year.

Ard

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Just perfect! I got on today because I got a Cabela's XSS for Father's day. I got a deal on a 14" TFO 9 wt, then couldn't afford to rig it! Now I need the same info as Steak: What's a good learner line for the money?
Wow. A 14' 9 weight. That is a big stick. Nowadays, most people are learning how to cast Scandinavian or Skagit style because they are the easiest styles of casting. With traditional style lines, you need to learn how to manage more line.

Please read the articles that I mentioned in response to Steak.

Here are a few lines.

Brand|Model|Size|Notes
Rio|Skagit|600 or 650 Grain|Can be bought in a kit with VersiTips

Ard uses a Scientific Anglers Skagit Multitip line. I think that he's played with it. He may have some thoughts on it.

Brand|Model|Size|Notes
Rio|AFS|8/9|Can be purchased as a one piece line or as a shooting head. A running line is necessary if you choose the shooting head version. Must use 15' Versileaders which can be bought separately or in a kit
Airflo|Scandinavian|8/9|This is sold as a shooting head, so a running line is necessary. 14' Polyleaders are recommended.

MP

Last edited:

BigCliff

Reaction score
I always refer folks to Poppy at the Red Shed on these matters, and the fact that you're halfway near him makes that even more ideal.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0nWBeq7-28]YouTube - The Red Shed[/ame]

I'd you take your rod to his shop, and pick his brain on what will be ideal for where you're fishing. If you can get him to do a casting lesson as well, it would be money well spent.

In the meantime, look through the "rods" and "tackle" sections here Spey Pages - Powered by vBulletin for some good info.

randyflycaster

Reaction score
If you have limited room behind you when you cast I'd look at a Sandi line or a Skagit. After you cast you'll have to retrieve some line. A skagit line is great for handling sinking lines and sinking or heavy flies. Also, I believe it is the easiest line to learn to cast. Depending on the length of your rod, you might also need a skagit cheater. A Scandi line is quiet on the water, but IMHO, setting up an anchor with a Scandi can be difficult. These lines work best with polyleaders.

If you have more room behind you. and don't want to retrieve too much line, I'd look at a Windcutter, but I'd probably go with a lighter one for your spey rod. (Go to the recommendation chart at products and supplies.)

Also, I believe the head or belly of your line shouldn't be longer than about 4X the length of your rod.

Randy