Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Rio SLick Shooter Thoughts?

I just got my Rio Scandi versitip in, and I ordered the recomended slickshooter 25, and this stuff is tiny... looks like thick mono line.. just trying to figure out how one handles such line while casting of fighting a fish, or is there a thicker option. Also, it doesnt have a loop end, suggestions on how to attach it to the loop on the shooting head would be great. or if theres a shootign line with built in loops.. sorry for being a noob. jsut want to make sure I put this together correctly. thanks.
    Mike

Default Re: Rio SLick Shooter Thoughts?

nothing... doesnt bode well for me using slickshooter..

Blog Entries

Don't despair. Someone will come along who has the answers. I have no experience with the lines you're talking about, but suspect a well tied nail knot would work connecting your pieces...I personally don't care for loop/loop connections anywhere my line can hinge while casting. -Mike

I dispise nail knots.. the slick shooter stuff is stiff line, not sure how I could tie it I do have an idea for it using the loop. I understand the hinging line issue, but it would seem that a thicker line would transfer energy, but Im a noob to this spey thing.

I use an Arflo Ridge as a running line for my heads, it actually feels like fly line and comes with a big huge loop on the end of that makes changing heads easy (You can keep them rolled up and pass the whole thing through the loop).
    I know it doesn't help with the slickshooter dilemma but I am personally not a huge fan of the stuff, I like my line to feel like a fly line.
    -Carl

Steelheader's Anonymous.

6. Likes HuronRiverDan liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by siskiyoublues View Post
    I use an Arflo Ridge as a running line for my heads, it actually feels like fly line and comes with a big huge loop on the end of that makes changing heads easy (You can keep them rolled up and pass the whole thing through the loop).
    I know it doesn't help with the slickshooter dilemma but I am personally not a huge fan of the stuff, I like my line to feel like a fly line.
    thats part of the details rio doesnt have on the site, I have solved this however, I was talking to a friend that has the rio powerflex and found out about the loop end and fly line feel, so I got some on the way. I hope to be casting late next week. WOOHOO, now if the temps would drop..

8. Default Re: Rio SLick Shooter Thoughts?

Without a big, built-in loop on the end I'd try to return the line. If you can't, put a loop on using a nail knot. Perhaps you'll get used to the line, but if it's a stiff line I wouldn't use it at all.

Randy

You could put a loop on the running line with a non slip loop knot of any sort. Make the loop large enough to slip a spool or the heads through.
    I've used it and Slickshooter for shooting heads on my single handers for years and it works. The steelheaders in the Northwest do too from what I've read but how they handle those rockets with that thin stuff is out of my pay grade to know.
    As for the hinge effect, you're going from a fat shooting head to a .029" running line. That fat head should pull out any hinge you might see on ordinary gear.
    The Slickshooter is a great shooting line. It's kind of flat... I guess for less surface area through the guides and it is slick... VERY slick.
    When it's spooled for a while you may need to hook it on a bumper hitch or another smooth object and stretch it to eliminate any coils. If you get another shooting line hang on to that Slickshooter, nothing will go through the guides as freely.
    Try it, you'll never cast as far without it. It's fun stuff.
    That said, I got an Orvis gift card and am waiting for UPS to deliver a Hydros running line just for snits 'n grins.

Tried the slick shooter line with my short scandi head and as soon as I got home I ordered a 100' shooting line that was more like fly line.

I just tied a surgeons loop for attaching the slick shooter line to the head.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by wabi View Post
    Tried the slick shooter line with my short scandi head and as soon as I got home I ordered a 100' shooting line that was more like fly line.

I just tied a surgeons loop for attaching the slick shooter line to the head.
    thats what I did, I should see my poweflex line mid week. I may try this stuff on a shooting head for my single hand for grins, but I would rather handle the flyline feel.
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast