Classic Leech spey flies

delopez

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm diving into the world of tying classic spey flies. I love the elegant look and charateristics of these flies, down to the up-bent hook eye and sleekly bent hook shank. However, I'm going to focus on patterns that 'should' catch fish in my river. I spey cast for Catfish, Drum, Carp, Sturgeon, etc. (whatever will take a flie). So, class presentations of crayfish, Leeches, warmwater folage, etc., are what I need. Maybe Classic spey flies that could resemble shad flies, etc., as well? What I need is help with direction on materials. I can get the hooks here: SS001 - Classic Salmon & Steelhead - Allen Fly Fishing Store

What I need to know are some patterns for the spey versions of these and what materials I should stock up on. What's good, what isn't. Etc. Please let me know...

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
LadyCaroline

I think just as a classic, in a leechy sort of way, maybe a Lady Caroline or something. You could just do a fly like that and dye everything black. I'd use Black Goose Shoulder instead of Bronze Mallard. I have such a hard time getting good Bronze Mallard I would hate to dye it if I could use a substitute.

delopez

Reaction score

wt bash

Reaction score
You could tie up some Matuka's in all black or black and purple. Dec Hogan has a few shown in one of his books. For crawfish patterns there is the General Practitioner, the Cascade series of flies, Irish Shrimp patterns and its simple but deadly the Red Francis.