Rio Max vs. Rio Skagit Flight

carnivorousnw

Reaction score
New to spey and recently ust purchased a tfo deer creek 13'er. I'm shopping around for a skagit head and was wondering how different the skagit max is to the skagit flight shooting head. Would a beginner like myself benefit from the max head or am I better off saving $30 towards a t-tip?

duker

Reaction score
Carnivorousnw, I have a 13' 7/8 TFO Deer Creek, and I use a 500 grain Rio Skagit Flight. I'm pretty much a beginner, and I like the way it casts and works for me. I don't have any experience with the Skagit Max--is that the new replacement for the Flight?--but I don't think you can go wrong with the Flight. And, if they have discontinued it, you can probably pick one up cheap. I also use the medium weight MOW tips.

They're nice rods. I'm sure you'll like yours whatever you end up using.

Scott

thenewlushlife

Reaction score
The skagit max will absolutely give you an advantage over the flight. The flight is made with a traditional high stretch core, whereas the max is made with a low stretch core, this translates to tighter loops and more importantly feeling the subtle takes from a fish and being able to deciffer the difference between a rock on the bottom or a fish hitting your fly.

I should tell you that airflo has been making 6% low stretch cores for years now and rio only started doing it this year. Airflo has perfected the low stretch core. Also, airflo makes their lines out of polyurethane instead of PVC like rio and every other company. So your best option is to get the airflo skagit-compact, it's what the Spey junkies use. Btw what line weight is that TFO rod? If its a 7/8 weight 13' like I suspect the airflo skagit in 480 or 510 grain would be perfect.

The rio skagit flight an max are decent lines, but the airflo skagit-compact and skagit switch are exceptional lines, something to think about.

duker

Reaction score
That's a helpful post thenewlushlife. And thanks a lot--just when I thought I'd finally dialled in my set-up and was getting my two-handed casting down, now I'm going to have to think about getting an airflo skgit compact. Sigh.

Scott

tridentfly

Trident Fly Fishing
Reaction score
The skagit max will absolutely give you an advantage over the flight. The flight is made with a traditional high stretch core, whereas the max is made with a low stretch core, this translates to tighter loops and more importantly feeling the subtle takes from a fish and being able to deciffer the difference between a rock on the bottom or a fish hitting your fly.
Exactly.

I've used both and can definitely agree with this.

rasputinj

Reaction score
Thanks for asking the question, I was just on Rio's website last night. I will check out the Airflo line. I need all the help I can get in Spey casting.

delopez

Reaction score
I'll agree about the Airflo lines. They're bullet proof. I have a skagit intermediate compact 510 for my LeCie and with a little roll cast to lift the t14 and t18 out of the water, it casts it effortlessly.

thenewlushlife

Reaction score
Quite frankly I find it hard to justify purchasing Rio spey lines over Airflo. Example; I bought a Rio Powerflex .30 running line in chartruese 1 year ago, the material and coating has already gone to ****, it sticks in the guides and the material has small hairline fractures all throughout it, no good, after only 1 year.

I have an airflo running line from 7 years ago that still has no cracks, the coating still shoots through the guides perfectly. These lines are simply made better and last, in the long run it saves you money to go airflo. The polyurethane material used to make airflo lines doesn't change shape, it remains the same, it doesn't crack, and it's UV, deet and oil resistant, friggin' amazing. I often wonder why every other company hasn\t moved to Polyurethane instead of PVC (glorified plastic), then I realize, most likely they can't figure out how to do it. Apparently airflo's formula and recipe for thier lines is extremely confidential, a rep for airflo told me you sign all kinds of gag orders before working for the company to keep that glorious line recipe a secret.
Anyway, do yourself a favor, if your going to get a skagit, go airflo all day, in fact any spey lines at that matter. Another good choice is the airflo Rage Compact, this is my go-to spey line. It has a scandi-like design with a more agressive front taper to handle sink tips. Its fun like casting a scandi, but handles much more weight. If the heaviest sink tip you are using is a type-8, then I would suggest the Rage, because the skagit may be overkill and the rage is a joy to cast. Basic rule of thumb with rage is to go 30 grains lighter than your skagit or 30 grains above your scandi. I liked the rage so much I got it in 360, 420, 450, 480 and 510 grains so I can go lighter when using poly leaders or go heavier for t-8 and t-11 material. Not to mention I'm using these heads on three different spey rods.

delopez

Reaction score
The only exception to this is that AirFlo has nothing like Rio's Scandi versi-tip. The ability to choose from a 38' or 33' version, change the heads to the proper sink rate, change the tips, etc., is absolutely amazing. And, you can take off the tips, put some t-tip on there, and cast it. Very fantastic creation!!!