Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  37
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Default Re: Spey reel choice

Quote Originally Posted by ddb View Post
    Flying against the prevailing winds here, what are the down sides to the newer, way less expensive, reels like the Redington Behemoth? Aside from the lack of classic aesthetic touches that is. God knows they seem rugged and the drags are smooth, full range adjustable and sealed. I have yet to hear of one failing.

DDB
    Can't think of much, other than for spey rods I like a full cage reel that will prevent running line from pinching between the frame and spool. I use a lamson remix HD 3.5 on a switch, and use Speyco Skandi and Orvis Battenkill V c&p on spey. Behemoth is an awesome reel for the price, I just wish they had a full cage version.
    Danny

I went with Ross Canyon Big Game 7's on the secondary market and I'm am super pleased with them (and understand now why used ones go for so much). My buddy just picked up one of the Orvis Battenkill Disc Spey reels and it hands down the best deal in a spell reel I've seen at only $189. Orvis could have charged a $100 more for that reel and few would blink an eye.

I just stumbled on the ORVIS Batenkill Disc V yesterday and it looks like a nice option for the lighter trout spey and switch rods up to the 5-6 weight range. Weighs in @ 7 oz, has a sealed drag, and classic looks. Costs about twice what the Redington does but...

DDB

Even if my life depended on it I don't think I could've labored over my spey reel buying decision anymore than I did.

I was looking to balance a G. Loomis NRX 13 foot, 8/9 wt., two handed rod.

I SERIOUSLY considered the Lamson ARX 4+, Ross Animas S, and just about any other reel with at least a four inch diameter.

I finally pulled the trigger on a first generation Hatch 9+ mid-arbor when they went on sale.

I'll learn in November if the Michigan steelhead agree with my choice.

You did good. A wise choice grasshopper.

ft09

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

6. Likes myt1 liked this post

My personal opinion... Click reels are the ONLY way to go when considering a reel for a two hander...

The Hardy Marquis LWT reel is a great reel, Made in England and of very high quality the Salmon #2 size would suit your needs perfectly....

8. Likes huronfly liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by kwb View Post
    My personal opinion... Click reels are the ONLY way to go when considering a reel for a two hander...

The Hardy Marquis LWT reel is a great reel, Made in England and of very high quality the Salmon #2 size would suit your needs perfectly....
    I tend to agree, I looove clickers. Although I just got myself a hardy cascapedia mk3 10/11 and it is a disk drag... sounds like a clicker and acts like one with the drag turned down! Close enough for me
    Danny

Quote Originally Posted by huronfly View Post
    I tend to agree, I looove clickers. Although I just got myself a hardy cascapedia mk3 10/11 and it is a disk drag... sounds like a clicker and acts like one with the drag turned down! Close enough for me
    I use an old non-vented spool SA System Two 12/13 in the same fashion LOL

I like the ability to change the drag on the fly with my fingers, it is superior to simply relying on a reels drag system, thus ultra expensive disk drag reels seem soul-less and kind of inferior to me LOL

Hatch obviously makes some of the finest reels out there, I just love the sound of a clicker...

Just my opinion though, whatever makes you happy is what any angler should use...
    Last edited by kwb; 11-03-2017 at 02:21 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345