Spey reel choice

rockriver

Reaction score
Is there a Spey Reel that will work for 7, 8, and 9 weight rods? The more I read on Spey equipment, the more confusing it's starting to sound. I have a Scott T3H, 12ft. 8in. on order in 7 weight that I'm hoping I'll be able to use a Abel Super 7/8N on. If not, I'll still use the reel on my Radian 7wt., but will look at larger reels. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. I would like to use a Abel or Sage reel made in the U.S.A. if possible. Thanks.

fireroad

Reaction score
I am about to get into the spey world myself, and will be purchasing a 13 ft 7wt and reel here soon. While my buddies who have been at the spey game a long time all recommend different rods, they all love the Abel Spey reel. It's bomb proof and the proper weight to balance a 13ft rod.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Don't get carried away with how big a reel you need. Typical single handed line is 90 feet, a spey line will be 120 (some up to 150) but the odds of you seeing either going out your rod tip is close to zilch. Line and 100-150 yards of 30 pound backing is more than enough.

Average fishing cast will be 45 to 60 feet (skip all the vid's you see-total BS); most fish you might hook are going to be 30-40 feet from your toes. Line stops ... you feel the 'thump' of a tail ... GAME ON!:eek:

fae

eastfly66

Reaction score
That Teton 9/11 will hold 150 plus yards of #30 , sounds like it will do the job for 100 bucks or so ....I wouldn't mind having a Saracione thou ....:D

Hey Fred , what do you think of using a SH 906 for steelhead in the 6 to 10 lb range ?

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
That Teton 9/11 will hold 150 plus yards of #30 , sounds like it will do the job for 100 bucks or so ....I wouldn't mind having a Saracione thou ....:D

Hey Fred , what do you think of using a SH 906 for steelhead in the 6 to 10 lb range ?
For fish in the 6-7 pound range a 6 line weight is fine, once you go over that a 7 would be a better choice. You can easily handle a 10 pound fish with a 7wt rod. Point being you want a rod with a ''enough beef" to allow you to really force the fight.

Fred

rockriver

Reaction score
or if you got cash to burn .....

Saracione

I love the $3K one, but just a little too much. :) Well actually, about $2K more than I think about. But, than again if I put away a little more.:D

jjc155

Reaction score
Is there a Spey Reel that will work for 7, 8, and 9 weight rods? The more I read on Spey equipment, the more confusing it's starting to sound. I have a Scott T3H, 12ft. 8in. on order in 7 weight that I'm hoping I'll be able to use a Abel Super 7/8N on. If not, I'll still use the reel on my Radian 7wt., but will look at larger reels. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. I would like to use a Abel or Sage reel made in the U.S.A. if possible. Thanks.
I run a Hatch 9+ on my 12'8 T3H 7wt. More for balance than capacity. Balance is WAYYYYY more important for me with the size/weight of reel when I spey cast. The sealed drag helps too when steelhead fishing in the midwest winter lol.

Another choice that I like and have used on switch rods in the past is a Ross CLA 5. It seems to balance a wide range of rods well.

Before you start looking for a new reel, try out the Abel that you have once your rod comes in and see if it balance how you like. If it does you can always get spare spools for various lines/set ups with out the cost of a new reel.

J-

duker

Reaction score
For a very good, not-very-spendy, American-made machined reel with a disc drag, try the Ross CLA (for 7-9 weight rods I'd go with a CLA 6).

For a great, slightly-more-spendy, American-made machined reel with a disc drag, try the Ross Momentum LT (again, size 6).

I use both and you can't go wrong with either. Ross has really good customer service too, and lifetime warranties on their reels.

Scott

rockriver

Reaction score
For a very good, not-very-spendy, American-made machined reel with a disc drag, try the Ross CLA (for 7-9 weight rods I'd go with a CLA 6).

For a great, slightly-more-spendy, American-made machined reel with a disc drag, try the Ross Momentum LT (again, size 6).

I use both and you can't go wrong with either. Ross has really good customer service too, and lifetime warranties on their reels.

Scott

I went with the Momentum LT6. I use a LT4 on my 8wt. rod. Now I need to figure out what line to put on it.

duker

Reaction score
Rockriver, I've also got a Momentum 4 on my 8 wt with a Rio Versi-tip line on it. Being able to swap out the various tips is handy for my salmon and steelhead fishing. I've got another spool for it that's spooled up with a Rio bonefish line.

Scott

duker

Reaction score
My LT 6 is strictly for my double handers, so its got 100 yards of #30 dacron backing with Rio Powerflex running line, whatever Skagit head I happen to be using (usually something between 500-550 grains), and then Rio MOW tips depending on water conditions. I cast both a Rio Skagit and an Airflow Compact Skagit. The LT 6 has plenty of room for that set-up.

Scott

rockriver

Reaction score
or if you got cash to burn .....

Saracione

I'm really thinking about this one as a dedicated mid or long belly line reel for a incoming 15 footer.:)

Last edited:

emel

Reaction score
Rockriver,

My suggestions to you is to ask yourself a couple of questions.
Do I want a disk drag or a click/pawl reel? How much do I have (want )to spend? Do I prefer classic or modern style? Lastly is american made a requirement?
A great many 2 handed anglers who target species such as steelhead prefer click/ pawl reels.
There are great options available in both style reels. Click Pawl advocates have outstanding choices like William Olson on the top end to Speyco and Abel at a more moderate cost with great makes like Farlex and Shamburg in between. Depending on your budget you can't go wrong with any of these. Disk drag proponents have even more to choose from. Certainly Saracione tops the list. Loop reels in both the classic and modern style, Hatch, Bauer, Tibor, Nautilus, Ross, Lamson the list goes on. What all of these have in common except Loop is that they are all made in the USA and all great choices. If you are willing to look outside the USA and like Click/Pawl you could never go wrong with a Hardy Perfect or Bougle'.
On a personal note, even though I have always preferred Clicker reels I purchased a Saracione MkV last year. It is my prized possession and unless an unbelievable deal comes my way on the holy grail of reels, a Bogdan I will not part with it. In my opinion it is the closest thing and in some ways better. If you are even contemplating purchasing one, don't think twice. Do it, you won't regret it.
So now that I have probably confused you even more let me say that is was not my intention. My aim was to merely point out that there are so many great choices open to you and just figuring out whether you would like disk or clicker, classic or modern style and relative price range you can narrow it down to some quality reels.

Emel

B

blackbugger

Once I got a clicker I had no use for a drag.

Clickers, in my opinion, are just more fun and add an extra element to the fight that drag reels don't. I feel more connected to the fish during a fight as my hands are deciding how much drag to use and it becomes second nature with practice. Really fun.

I have a Nautilus CCF 10 that has barely been used if anyone wants to buy it

Last edited:
B

blackbugger

If you are willing to look outside the USA and like Click/Pawl you could never go wrong with a Hardy Perfect or Bougle'.
I have a Taupo on my 6126. It balances perfectly.
A buddy of mine liked it so much he got one for his six weight as well.