Farlex Reel

myt1

Reaction score
Wow, very nice. I just checked out their website.

Once I saw the price though I realized they are for fishers that play in a different sandbox than I do.

It also appears the spools are completely enclosed; something I see on a lot of spey reels.

Particularly in this price range, don't you want to be able to palm the spool?

Or for some reason isn't that as important on these types of reels?

flytie09

Reaction score
I picked up my 3 3/4" 1:1 DD (direct drive) Farlex on the after market. Like any reel.... this is a great way to pick up higher end gear at a good value. In some cases.... it's the only way.

I think it is a nice reel overall. Would I own more? Sure. Would I pay full sticker price? No.

There are several features I like.

• Very good drag adjustment range. Chub to tuna range. For a C&P that's impresive.
  • Nice looks. There are several design elements that make it unique.
  • Easy to service. Simple internal design. Easy to convert left to right hand.
  • Great capacity. I have ~ 150 yds of gel spun, 100ft of level running line, and use a variety of Skagit heads (420-580 grain) with no problem.
  • Tim Gelinas (the owner) is a nice guy. I emailed him about a problem I had on the water and he called me later that night and promptly had the replacement part in the mail.

ft09

Last edited:

rockriver

Reaction score
Aren't all Farlex reels Gear & Pawl?

• Very good drag adjustment range. Chub to tuna range. For a C&P that's impresive.

ft09[/QUOTE]

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

It also appears the spools are completely enclosed; something I see on a lot of spey reels.

Particularly in this price range, don't you want to be able to palm the spool?

You use finger tip pressure on the exposed spool opposite side from the handle.

flytie09

Reaction score
Yes they are all c&p as far as I know. Maybe there's one disc drag reel somewhere he tinkered with.

The drag will stop anything you're gonna throw at it. An exposed rim would be nice, but it's not needed. There's other tricks you can do like pinching the line, palm the inside of the spool, and side pressure that work too. I never found any of these tricks really necessary when fighting a fish with the Farlex.

ft09

rockriver

Reaction score
Yes they are all c&p as far as I know. Maybe there's one disc drag reel somewhere he tinkered with.

The drag will stop anything you're gonna throw at it. An exposed rim would be nice, but it's not needed. There's other tricks you can do like pinching the line, palm the inside of the spool, and side pressure that work too. I never found any of these tricks really necessary when fighting a fish with the Farlex.

ft09
What drag are you referring to?

flytie09

Reaction score
You call them gear and pawl. I call them clickers, ratchet and pawl, click and pawl, spring and pawl or check and pawl reels. C&P is short hand. They all mean the same thing.

;)

ft09