Danielsson Fly Reels

runningfish

Reaction score
I've just received my first ever 2 Danielsson Reels straight from Sweden. What I bought were their L5W 8Twelve (8wt-12wt) and L5W 4Seven (4wt-7wt) reels.
I've never had one in my hands prior to receiving them, but I thought they were nicely designed, built and finished.

I think if you are looking for new reels, you should check on them. For the build quality, price, and the hidden good reputation, I think they should be in everyone's short lists.

Last edited:

flytie09

Reaction score
Danielsson has a long standing history with innovation and quality. I don't personally own any of their reels, but have heard nothing but good things about their reels over the years. Made in Sweden, it can make finding and handling one a little tough.

If I'm not mistaken, the founder Mr. Kurt Danielsson developed the first "modern day" large arbor reel design (branded as and developed in conjunction with Loop). This large arbor design was quickly adopted by almost all of the other reel manufacturer's. A little known factoid.

The Hardy historians might disagree on the origins of the large arbor. 1911 - Hardy St George...... But that's not for me to decide.......

ft09

runningfish

Reaction score
Handling them prior to buying them is kinda difficult and I didn't know about their existence until a friend in Toronto mentioned it to me. It was the quickest decision making and buying process ever without the post buying remorse.

I test spooled the 8Twelve last night with roughly 175yds of 30# (rated at 250yds)(more than I will ever need), 90ft of 20# coated running line and 28ft Rage 390, the spool still have plenty of headroom to spare for beefier shooting heads. and it didn't weight a ton either. I think I'd be comfortable enough to spool it with a regular 8-12wt single hand saltwater lines and sight fishing with it.

Another thing that I like about these reels is the drag was factory setup at level 4 that provides me sufficient smooth drag to let the fish run on tight line. You can spool the rim as well and I believe it takes about 3/4 of a drag knob turn to tighten the drag all the way down. I think you can ask Danielsson to change the drag level to your liking.

Changing the left/right retrieve isn't as simple as flipping a bearing or a part, but there is nothing a master fly fisherman/woman can't do.

It took my reels 10 days (2 days at the US Customs) to arrive from Sweden to California. They provided me with the tracking number in less than 24 hours and track-able on USPS.com

So far I am happy with the purchase.....meow.

suzyhector

Reaction score
As a Swede, I can say that the Danielsson reels are fantastic in quality. However in my opinion a bit boring. Maybe it's just that I am a swede and that makes them boring because they are everywhere here in the whole of scandinavia, but the technical quality is amazing.

Yes, the father of Tomas who is now running the company did in fact invent the true first large arbor reel, he made a prototype with a couple of sewing thread spools, that is today the original reel.

To me it's a lot more fun with american made reels, but to you americans maybe the swedish reel is a lot more exotic :D

flytie09

Reaction score
No I agree 100%. They're the Volvo of fly reels. Will drive through sleet, snow, rain without problems. Solid engineering, gets good gas mileage, carries half a soccer team, and will let you walk away after hitting a moose...... but it's not going to win car and driver "car of the year".

If you were a Swede, guide, want 1 reel only for life, a gear head or fishi 200 days/yr..... yeah give them consideration.

That's my full of malarkey opinion.

ft09

runningfish

Reaction score
After using the 2 L5W Danielsson reels that I have...well mostly the 6Nine, I just couldn't wait to get another Danielsson. So today I ordered my 3rd Danielsson reel; a F3W 7Ten for $180+$20 shipping. I've never been so obsessed over reels but these reels are true quality and so economically priced.
Well, of course there are many good reels that are around $200 or even good one under $125 or luxury reels that are over $700 that I can't never afford. Glad that I looked outside the box and found these reels.