Rio Scandi Short

andersr

Reaction score
Hi.

So I have been looking at different line setups for my 12' #5 spey rod.

I haven't had the chance to fish it yet, but I have done some research on the internet, and come to the conclusion that a scandi short 330gr. (not the versitip) would be a good choice for soft hackles and small streamers.

Does anyone have experience fishing a scandi head of similar size?

If so, what size flies will this setup be able to turn over?

Will it work with an articulated size 4 streamer?

I plan to use it with a poly/versileader on the end. ( intermediate to fast sink)

eastfly66

Reaction score
I have a vxp 5120 and use a 310 scandi 31 ft.

works fine for buggers, streamers and wets , if I go for bigger weighted flies I might go with my skagit at 375/20 ft.

andersr

Reaction score
Alright.

Seems like the scandi 330 will do fine most of the time.

I was just a little unclear about what is considered "a small fly".

I will probably get a skagit for it also.

Thanks

eastfly66

Reaction score
I was just a little unclear about what is considered "a small fly".
not sure myself :) with the 5120 I cast BH buggers alot and zonkers #6 & 8 . I haven't really tried the crazy stuff like circus peanut but I think an articulated bugger or whatever would be fine. The small stuff like wets and even the buggers I use my 3110 , lighter and more fun. I would say anything you would throw on a 7 wt SH would be more than game for the 2 hand #5.

andersr

Reaction score
yeah, It will surely throw the smallest flies with ease.

I actually got this rod to complement my #4 and 5 SH rods. I figured it would have me covered for long casts when the water is high and the 25-30" fish are on the move :)
I'm new to the double handed rods, but if I like fishing with this one (Orvis Clearwater btw), I'll surely look into lighter models.

Any way the buggers in the #6-8 range are probably what I'll be swinging even though I got some bigger ones tied up too.

Fkrow

Reaction score
Most of my 5wt rods like RIO Scandi Short 300gr, a little better line speed and distance,,, however, the 330gr should work fine.
If you are struggling to turn over larger flies,,, change the leader.
Try a longer Polyleader or VersiLeader both in Spey (not the trout) with heavier butt sections.

Regards,
FK

andersr

Reaction score
Most of my 5wt rods like RIO Scandi Short 300gr, a little better line speed and distance,,, however, the 330gr should work fine.
If you are struggling to turn over larger flies,,, change the leader.
Try a longer Polyleader or VersiLeader both in Spey (not the trout) with heavier butt sections.

Regards,
FK
I already have the 330, and I guess it's ok to start out with.
I'll do some fine tuning to make things work optimally along the way. Maybe go with the 300 eventually.
I got the light scandi versileaders and salmon polyleaders, all 10'.

Thanks for the advice!