Waterworks Lamson mono shooting line

suzyhector

Reaction score
How often do you have problams with mono shooting line getting inbetween the spool and house of your non HD lamson reels? I didn't even think about using a non hd reel, but I would love to use my litespeed series iv 3.5 for singlehand salmon spey just because I love it so much. I tried to make the shooting line snag and get inbetween but I couldn't make it even with force. I use 0.60mm mono for single hand rods.

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
Can't speak to the reel you're struggling with but way back when ( 80's ) it would happen occasionally to me with single handed shooting head systems with lighter ( #20 mono ) Amnesia shooting lines, but then two things happened. I got rid of the reels that I had with poor spool to frame / pillar fit tolerances and I learned to keep my drag on my draw bar reels turned up just enough so I don't get spool slop. Since I don't use heads on waters where dinks are on the menu, there's no fine tippet to protect...;) No more mono sneaking past the pillar.

Dave

suzyhector

Reaction score
I actually never had a problem with that, but I just wanted to hear if anyone ever had any problems, the Lamson reels seem to have very tight tolerances that no thicker mono would be able to slip through.

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
I undertood your statement, but I also see that you're struggling with a non-issue. In other words, you are trying to create a problem where there is no problem. You've run your test, the reel didn't fail. But you're hoping for some bad news from others.........

What I was offering was personal insights and ways to avoid the issue.

Dave

suzyhector

Reaction score
No I don't hope for it to happen to others, just wondering if anyone had any problems, just to be safe :)

myt1

Reaction score
If you believe the advertisements for the various spey reels out there, getting ones line caught between the spool and the frame is apparently a pretty common problem.

That is, it is a common problem on all reels except the particular one being advertised.

It sounds like this is one more instance of a marketing department creating a problem that doesn't exist in an attempt to make their stuff seem better than everyone else.

suzyhector

Reaction score
I have a friend who had it happen to him once, but that was on a dirt cheap ebay reel from China, and to be honest I don't think that they have the same tolerances and thought through design as the reels made in the west, US, Sweden and so on.