OPST running lines

bigfootken

Reaction score
just bought a 30# Lazar running line with a commando head. set it up and tried it a few times. having problems with the running line coiling up.
tried stretching it, which helped a bit. then as soon as I put it back on the reel, it still comes off all coiled up to the point I can' manage it. it goes all over the place. do I need to treat it in a special way because everything I see about this line is wonderful (and no coiling problem).

dean_mt

Reaction score
Unfortunately I think that is just one of the characteristics of the stuff. I tested it out and hated it for the same reason. Yeah it shoots a mile but I couldn't deal with the coils, plus you can't mend a mile of mono. The guys at the shop asked how I liked it and I opted for a running line like the Rio slickshooter (I think it was), it's basically a running fly line. They said that basically they are all torn on the stuff, it's pure preference--some of them love it others hate it. You either learn how to handle it and manage the coils and hope to appreciate the good qualities more than the bad, or sell it.

bloomagoo

Reaction score
You probably need to pull it off of your reel to get the coils out. Once you do that you can attach it to something and stretch the heck out of it; then spool her back up.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
I am not having issues with the OPST running line, using 35lb 375grain head.

Neither is our Spey group which is odd because I've heard complaints before from others, besides a good stretch and we are all using 4" speyco reels, maybe that is the difference? Larger spool? We've even talked about it, are you having trouble with the running line? No no no and no. I dunno.

I always had to stretch my gripshooter running line it seemed worse than the OPST stuff and didn't shoot as well.

There isn't great mending with any of the mono running lines it's more about the cast than anything.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I understand why these lines are popular but there seems to be recurring problems of this nature with them. Myself, I use lines which have integrated vinyl lines behind the heads / bellies. Rio does offer a braided double loop with a swivel between the braids but I've read posts whereas people don't like the hardware. The sweet spot could be that if your rod will cast properly with at least 6" to one foot of running line out the tip top then the swivels may be the cure. They are meant to allow all the coils to rotate out of the running lines. Look on their website under accessories to find them.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I admit I have never used one. Just watched many vids and read forum comments because it is somewhat new. They seem like their best purpose is easy bomb casting. I have no doubt they accomplish that as it is the one advantage any compact head with mono runner is going to have. Some of Ed's more recent vids highlight him single spey casting very short and light rods with heavy heads with his running line. Casting stupid heavy flies for the rod. It looks wonderful for that but he isn't mending at a distance. It appears to be useful in the right water. Very useful in fact. But I don't see myself trying to mend a short head with a mono runner at 50ft+ with 25ft+ of mono laying on the water. Because I have tried that with an Amnesia runner. Seems there are better tools for that job.

bigfootken

Reaction score
thanks for your input. I asked myself the same question about the size of my reel (Hardy Marquis 5) which is only 1.25'' with the backing. is this the problem??? don't know. just know it's a bugger.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I use a Marquis #5 on my 7'9" Far & Fine five weight with a WF 5 on it. What rod and what size line are we talking about here?

bigfootken

Reaction score
30# Lazar running line with a 200 gr. commando head. maybe the 1.25'' (including the 50 yard backing) diameter is too small for the Lazar to wind on, causing it to coil more than normal,

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
I think 30 pound is too heavy for a 200 grain. I believe 30 is suggested for 7wt and 375 grain heads, I went with 35 for better grip. 15 or 20 pound seems more realistic and will shoot better I think.

Also yes if your wrapping that stuff on like on an open face spinning reel, sure that's going to cause problems. Big loops on a large arbor will help and pull a bunch off and stretch it out, take the twists out. I think that will help, I stretch my running line out and let it out and roll in the river without a fly on when I start fishing.

Hope that helps, good luck.

runningfish

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with my 25# OPST for 180-210 grain. After the a couple of cast it just straighten itself up. In my experience, persistent coiling can happen when.
1. When spooling, when the spool is perpendicular with the fly reel instead of side by side bottom out and bottom in.

2. When you are peeling too much line out of your reel and didn't completely shoot it out when casting.

3. When you are casting the same cast over and over and over again and not shooting the whole running line. the torque in spey casting will twist the remaining running line. I heard that it is making a half turn every time we cast.

To cure it just cast out and let the head float downstream or even in the lake and lightly pinch the running line when you reeling it back into the reel. Pinching it will force the slack to turn and roll and straighten itself.

You can also use the leather leader straightener when you first peel the running line out. It might help.

By the way, other than using OPST 25# (can't mend), I am using Airflo Ridge running 30#line, Steve Godshall Mendmaster 20#, and Pline Hydrofloat 50#.

bigfootken

Reaction score
rockriver - bottom to bottom

runningfish - I don't get the ''side by side (Part), bottom out and bottom in (is what I did)''. I assume you mean both the sides of the spool and the reel are parallel, one in front of the other? otherwise, your post is very informative. thanks

bloomagoo

Reaction score
The 30# isn't too heavy for the 200 grain head but if I'm understanding correctly, you are saying that your arbor width is only 1.25". I just purchased #35 Lazar line and don't have these problems... but I spooled it to a size 3 Lamson Litespeed. There is a reason the Lazar line is delivered on a spool that is about 3" in diameter. Why on earth would you spool any monofilament to an arbor that narrow?

bigfootken

Reaction score
hey! I'm an old guy! my reels are old style (small arbor). you're saying this running line will only work on large arbor reels! maybe you're right. maybe it's time I get with the times and buy some of the new equipment. or maybe I'll just stick with my old stuff and leave the new with you young folks. by the way, all my old fly lines came on 4'' diameter spools and they worked just fine on my old small arbor reels. notwithstanding, I still think you're right. thanks for the input.

fishmandoug

Reaction score
I have 30 lb lazar and a 225 grain head a warmwater 6wt setup. I stretched the line very well the first two times I used it and have not had any memory issues since. The reel is a normal modern size mid arbor.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Well you just got to find a 3" to 4" salmon steelhead reel and your all set! Speyco, Hardy, are old school reels and my favorites. :)

4" x 1 1/4" speyco scandi on the swing with 35 Lb lazer line.