Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OPST running lines

1. Default OPST running lines

just bought a 30# Lazar running line with a commando head. set it up and tried it a few times. having problems with the running line coiling up.
    tried stretching it, which helped a bit. then as soon as I put it back on the reel, it still comes off all coiled up to the point I can' manage it. it goes all over the place. do I need to treat it in a special way because everything I see about this line is wonderful (and no coiling problem).

Default Re: OPST running lines

Hey,

Could the line be twisting? If so here's one solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cGgh8s3ytE

Unfortunately I think that is just one of the characteristics of the stuff. I tested it out and hated it for the same reason. Yeah it shoots a mile but I couldn't deal with the coils, plus you can't mend a mile of mono. The guys at the shop asked how I liked it and I opted for a running line like the Rio slickshooter (I think it was), it's basically a running fly line. They said that basically they are all torn on the stuff, it's pure preference--some of them love it others hate it. You either learn how to handle it and manage the coils and hope to appreciate the good qualities more than the bad, or sell it.

You probably need to pull it off of your reel to get the coils out. Once you do that you can attach it to something and stretch the heck out of it; then spool her back up.
    "Work is what I do in between fishing trips."
    on Youtube at BlooMagooTV

5. Default Re: OPST running lines

thanks for your help guys. I don't feel so lonely, knowing I'm not the only one.
    Ken

I am not having issues with the OPST running line, using 35lb 375grain head.

Neither is our Spey group which is odd because I've heard complaints before from others, besides a good stretch and we are all using 4" speyco reels, maybe that is the difference? Larger spool? We've even talked about it, are you having trouble with the running line? No no no and no. I dunno.

I always had to stretch my gripshooter running line it seemed worse than the OPST stuff and didn't shoot as well.

There isn't great mending with any of the mono running lines it's more about the cast than anything.

7. Likes Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

I understand why these lines are popular but there seems to be recurring problems of this nature with them. Myself, I use lines which have integrated vinyl lines behind the heads / bellies. Rio does offer a braided double loop with a swivel between the braids but I've read posts whereas people don't like the hardware. The sweet spot could be that if your rod will cast properly with at least 6" to one foot of running line out the tip top then the swivels may be the cure. They are meant to allow all the coils to rotate out of the running lines. Look on their website under accessories to find them.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

I admit I have never used one. Just watched many vids and read forum comments because it is somewhat new. They seem like their best purpose is easy bomb casting. I have no doubt they accomplish that as it is the one advantage any compact head with mono runner is going to have. Some of Ed's more recent vids highlight him single spey casting very short and light rods with heavy heads with his running line. Casting stupid heavy flies for the rod. It looks wonderful for that but he isn't mending at a distance. It appears to be useful in the right water. Very useful in fact. But I don't see myself trying to mend a short head with a mono runner at 50ft+ with 25ft+ of mono laying on the water. Because I have tried that with an Amnesia runner. Seems there are better tools for that job.

10. Likes Ard liked this post
  11. Default Re: OPST running lines

thanks for your input. I asked myself the same question about the size of my reel (Hardy Marquis 5) which is only 1.25'' with the backing. is this the problem??? don't know. just know it's a bugger.

Blog Entries

I use a Marquis #5 on my 7'9" Far & Fine five weight with a WF 5 on it. What rod and what size line are we talking about here?

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast