OPST Commando Micro Skagit - first impressions

bloomagoo

Reaction score
Hooray! My 200 grain OPST Commando head arrive in the mail yesterday. I dipped my toe into the switch/spey world last fall and I became interested in micro skagit over the winter and finally decided it was time to put actions to my desires.

Upon opening the package my first thought was "I can't believe they get $50 for thirteen feet of PVC!" But that's not what this post is about; it's about my on the water experience today.

I started with an Okuma Helios 5/6 reel lined with Rio Slickshooter 35lb mono running line and attached that to my Sage One 864 and headed to the local trout sanctuary. After such a wet spring currents continue to run exceptionally high so I selected a 7ft type 6 polyleader, a short run of straight 2x for tippet and tied on a cone head wooly bugger.

You must understand that I am a spey novice. I have watched a LOT of Youtube videos but I don't have that many actual hours under my belt. I know the theory but the muscle memory is a work in progress. Consistency is still an issue but boy, when you have it dialed in, this package can SHOOT! Tomorrow I hope to get it onto some still water for more practice.

One final thought, this was also only my second time out using a mono running line. I must say that, while it takes some getting used to, it is remarkably easy to manage. And the feel of the entire package is so very different from standard fly line. I used to watch the Reds Fly Shop videos and wonder how Joe was able to feel when his fly was ticking bottom. Today I felt my cone head wooly ticking off the rocks. Really cool!

mjkirshner

Reaction score
I just got a 225-gr Commando to use on my 6-wt bass road in the finger lake behind my house. I have a high bank and trees/shrubs, so until now, I have only been able to cast at a 30-degree angle from the bank or risk hanging my fly in a tree. With the Commando I can get a cast 40 feet or more straight out from the bank, which I could never reach by roll casting a standard line. Unfortunately, I just sold the spare reel that I was using with it, so I haven't had the chance to use it the past few weeks. But I have a new 6-wt reel on order, and as soon as it comes in, I can put the Slickshooter onto the older reel and start practicing with it again.

I also like the mono line, although I have to say that I prefer the OPST over the Rio. I bought the Slickshooter for use on a switch rod, but found that it coiled a lot and tended to sink. I replaced it with Lazer, which floats better and doesn't coil as easily, and it is so much easier to handle now. The Slickshooter was retired to the cabinet until I got the 225-grain head for the 6-wt. If I find that I am using the Commando on the 6-wt regularly, I will probably invest in some more Lazer.

huronfly

Reaction score
I used to watch the Reds Fly Shop videos and wonder how Joe was able to feel when his fly was ticking bottom. Today I felt my cone head wooly ticking off the rocks. Really cool!
Wait till you feel a fish chomp on your fly!:eek:

I use a no stretch running line and you can practically feel a fish breathe on your fly.:cool:

fishmandoug

Reaction score
It will get easier.

Im still on my first year using the commando head and have noticed a huge improvement in accuracy. Its more fishing and less thinking about casting now with all the benefits that the system provides.

I also watched a ton of really good casters make it look easy on videos. It was a little tricky at first for me to get the timing down. With the short head it's really easy to overpower the anchor.