Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  48
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Default Re: Spey Line Question

I firmly believe that when casting a 50 foot head line, a 15' rod will make it a lot easier. There is no way the same caster using a 50 foot head can cast nearly as far using a 13' rod instead of a 15' rod.

Also, I'd like to see a video of a caster performing an effective double spey using a 50 foot head and a 13' rod.

I'm still waiting, after many years now, for a video of someone making a long, 80 foot or so, cast using 50 foot head or so and a 12 6" or 13' rod.

I believe in making casting as easy, as effective as possible, so if I were to cast a 50' head line I would want a 15' rod.

My very emotional two cents. (I don't mean to offend. If I did, I'm sorry.)

Randy

2. Likes Ard liked this post
  3. Question Re: Spey Line Question

Lots perplexing answers to what spey line is best for a 12'6" 7 wt.
    spey rod. I just ordered Simon Gawesworth's spey casting book. I understand this book is primarily about traditional spey casting. Hope to try my spey rod as soon as the rivers become fishable. I like the views that each of you have on the spey line you recommend. Do you have any idea why the grain weight for a spey rod is different for each type of line?

Thanks,
    Steeleman

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Default Re: Spey Line Question

I think this may be of interest given the question:

R. B. Meiser Fly Rods - What Is A Grain Window?

Another option is the have Steve Gotshall build you a custom line; He and Bob share a shop here in Medford, Oregon. All of Steve's lines are a 'custom cut' for a specific rod/fishing condition(s) etc
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

5. Thanks Ard thanked for this post
    Blog Entries

That was perfect Fred!

I saw the question but backed off replying because I figured I'd end up further confusing the issue.

Thank you for posting that,

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

The MKS stands for Mike Kenney Special; if you peek around Bob's web site you'll find a 'FES' .,, Ya-ya that's me.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

8. Likes Ard, flytie09 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
    I firmly believe that when casting a 50 foot head line, a 15' rod will make it a lot easier. There is no way the same caster using a 50 foot head can cast nearly as far using a 13' rod instead of a 15' rod.

Also, I'd like to see a video of a caster performing an effective double spey using a 50 foot head and a 13' rod.

I'm still waiting, after many years now, for a video of someone making a long, 80 foot or so, cast using 50 foot head or so and a 12 6" or 13' rod.

I believe in making casting as easy, as effective as possible, so if I were to cast a 50' head line I would want a 15' rod.

My very emotional two cents. (I don't mean to offend. If I did, I'm sorry.)

Randy
    I will do it with my TnT 1307, but you gotta give me a bit of time, been wanting this really nice tripod for my DSLR, but need to save a few more pennies for it, once I get it, I can film myself...

Life here in California is way more expensive than Michigan so cannot buy toys as easily as I once could...

I completely agree with you a 15' rod is an easier tool to use, but you can cast a full floating 50'ish head with a 13' rod no problem...

We used to just use longer lines like that to practice cast with for fun, had no real practical use in Southwest Michigan as far as fishing goes, but fun to cast...

Don't be so emotional over nothing bud, life's too short!

Quote Originally Posted by steeleman View Post
    Lots perplexing answers to what spey line is best for a 12'6" 7 wt.
    spey rod. I just ordered Simon Gawesworth's spey casting book. I understand this book is primarily about traditional spey casting. Hope to try my spey rod as soon as the rivers become fishable. I like the views that each of you have on the spey line you recommend. Do you have any idea why the grain weight for a spey rod is different for each type of line?

Thanks,
    Steeleman
    Hi, steeleman. I've just happened upon this Simon Gawesorth tutorial on YouTube Part I and thought you might like to see it. He covers a lot of important points like rotating at the waist during the sweep and problems like 'trouter's flick' (pushing with the top hand). The vids might complement his book?

I'm off to watch Part II now.

11. Default Re: Spey Line Question

Just got Simon Gawesworth' spey casting book. I am looking forward to reading it and then practicing. I have decided to try and learn spey casting on my mid-belly line before getting one of
    the specialty lines. I will first practice with just the floating line and after I can cast that I will try Ard's weighted leader approach swinging sunken streamers. Ard did you ever determine the
    depths the various lengths of T and/or Z lines attained? It seems to me that your sunken streamer approach would eliminate the necessity of acquiring both weighted tips and leaders and thus make it easier and cheaper to fish for salmon (Atlantic & pacific) and steelhead.

12. Likes Ard liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234