Pretty new to skagit

kamajan999

Reaction score
Since Im pretty new to skagit, I was wondering if it is possible to fish like a 3 inch tube fly with a sink 3 15 foot tip with a 225 grain skagit rio head?
It would be super cool to fish a 6 weight single hand during early spring seatrout fishing here in sweden with light gear since the fish rarely gets very big in the spring, plus it's a big weight saving for my arms and shoulders.

fireroad

Reaction score
"In the world of Skagit, head weight has everything to do with sink-tip weight; you need mass to move mass. Heavy sink tips require heavy Skagit heads to cast them … ideally by about a 2:1 ratio"

So with a 225gr head you are looking at 112 gr tip. The #6 Rio 15ft tips weigh 84gr so technically it would work. I say technically because the shorter skagit heads are designed to work with the shorter length tips like MOW and FLO and the new tips from OPST so it takes a little more skill to turn over the 15 foot tips. Keep your leader short (like 2ft) and stiff enough to turn over a tube fly and you should be good to go.

ddb

Reaction score
You did not mention the line belly characteristics.

Assuming the SH rod is @ 9', you probably would get optimal service from a short Skagit -- Commando type -- of about 12-13' that gives you a short D loop. If so, attaching a 15' sink tip still would give you a lot more 'stick' in the water than the short, ltwt, rod can efficiently manage. I'd suggest trying a 5' short sink tip in the same weight range as the 15'er. It will be easier to lift and will actually fish deeper than the longer tip.

ddb

flytie09

Reaction score
It just doesn't sound quite right Kamajan. I'm assuming you're talking about the Rio Intouch single hand spey lines.

I'd say you're going to want to use a shorter T type (T-8, T11, T-14) sink tip in the 7.5' - 10' range. 15' sounds long and would be a struggle to make work.

Plus a 3" tube fly sounds like it would be a challenge to cast such a large fly spey casting a single hand rod.

I don't use tube flies..... so I might be wrong.

lake flyer

Reaction score
I think it also depends on the design of your tube fly. If it is tied rather sparse but with a big profile (along the lines of intruders?) then the fly itself shouldn't be a problem.

flav

Reaction score
I agree with the others here, 15 ft is way too long for that light and short a head. You might be able to cast it, but it won't be easy or pretty. I'd choose a 5-7 ft tip for that setup. As for the fly on that setup, it depends on how it's tied and how heavy it is, but you really won't have an answer till you actually try it.

kamajan999

Reaction score
Maybe it's not such a good idea, maybe I should just stick to my 300 grain 8 weight single hand instead, at least I know that works just fine for my rivers.

flav

Reaction score
I think it's a great idea, don't just give up on it. These new super short SH skagit lines are awesome, but they do have limitations. I think using a lighter rod to fish streamers is exactly what they are designed to do. I've used mine on a 4 weight to throw midsized streamers for browns. I don't expect to get down to the stones in 10 feet of water, but I can get down a few feet, and casting is fun and way easier than chucking overhead with a heavier rod.

fireroad

Reaction score
Maybe it's not such a good idea, maybe I should just stick to my 300 grain 8 weight single hand instead, at least I know that works just fine for my rivers.
I think you are on the right track, just need to tweek your setup a bit to make life a little easier on yourself. Assuming the 225 gr Rio line you mentioned is the skagit max short then 10ft or less sink tips from Rio, Airflo, or OPST will work for your intended application. If it's some other line then I would recommend and Airflo Skagit Scout or OPST Commando head and the OPST 10 or 12ft tips. I would lean towards the OPST (225 to 250gr for a single hand 6wt) over the Airflo as it's the more aggressive head designed to do exactly what you want.

kamajan999

Reaction score
Hmm... The line is Rio skagit max short and I just did find that my dealer has the in touch 10 foot sink 3 tips in 55 and 65 grain. Interesting. Would a setup like that work maybe?

fireroad

Reaction score
Hmm... The line is Rio skagit max short and I just did find that my dealer has the in touch 10 foot sink 3 tips in 55 and 65 grain. Interesting. Would a setup like that work maybe?
It would indeed, I would go with the 65 gr tips. Wat rod do you plan on using this setup on? I ask as I think the 225gr Rio Skagit Max short is a little light for most 9ft 6wt to load a sustained anchor cast properly. It would be worth it to call Rio and see if they have put together an SH chart for those heads yet, but I'm willing to bet it should be the 275gr head. I came up with that number based on OPST recommends their 225 gr head for a 6wt SH and the Rio Skagit Max Short is typically 50grs heavier for the same rod.

kamajan999

Reaction score
It would indeed, I would go with the 65 gr tips. Wat rod do you plan on using this setup on? I ask as I think the 225gr Rio Skagit Max short is a little light for most 9ft 6wt to load a sustained anchor cast properly. It would be worth it to call Rio and see if they have put together an SH chart for those heads yet, but I'm willing to bet it should be the 275gr head. I came up with that number based on OPST recommends their 225 gr head for a 6wt SH and the Rio Skagit Max Short is typically 50grs heavier for the same rod.

It's an old Scierra EDP rod, medium/ medium fast action, not a huge stiff backbone. Casts fine with 15 grams lines.
However, my goal this year of maybe next year is to buy a new 6 weight single hander. So maybe a lighter head and heavier tip could work with both the older rod and when I buy a new rod.

kamajan999

Reaction score
Maybe I could go with the 250 grain head, and when I get a more modern rod I could go for a slightly heavier tip in the same lenght? I feel that head should work for both a 12 year old rod and a newer rod.

flytie09

Reaction score
OPST Commando lines may very well do what you're looking for.YouTube

Give them a call...... talk through your setup and they will custom pick a "total casting package" for you. Saves the guesswork.

ft09