Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly line break

Default Fly line break

I just had a RIO Switch Chucker 6 wt fly line break on me yesterday while fishing. It came apart about 3 feet from the tip when I was casting it. I just purchased this line on January 20th and it was on it's first fishing outing. Called RIO and was told to send it to warranty service at RIO for evaluation and replacement. Hope not to lose $100 here as have no experience with RIO warranty. Guess I'll see in time. First fly line I have ever had break for any reason, I own 5 other RIO lines and have had no problems yet.

Default Re: Fly line break

Quote Originally Posted by biker1usa View Post
    I just had a RIO Switch Chucker 6 wt fly line break on me yesterday while fishing. It came apart about 3 feet from the tip when I was casting it. I just purchased this line on January 20th and it was on it's first fishing outing. Called RIO and was told to send it to warranty service at RIO for evaluation and replacement. Hope not to lose $100 here as have no experience with RIO warranty. Guess I'll see in time. First fly line I have ever had break for any reason, I own 5 other RIO lines and have had no problems yet.
    Rio is reputed to be very good with their warranty, so I don't expect you'll have any problems.

I had an Airflo Elite DT WF3F break, but that was user error. I was casting upstream into a pool, which ran over some rocks at its end as it plunged below into the pool I was standing in. I thought I had things all lined out pretty well, stripping line in as the fly, leader and line worked its way back to me. I pushed it on the drift, and waited to long to lift the line up to re-cast, and the front of the fly line just above the welded loop got caught around a rock at the top of the plunge. I yanked on it and moved my rod tip in a circle, hoping to free it. All I ended up doing was cutting the line on a very sharp edge of the rock. I tied on a butt section with a perfection loop at the end, and resumed fishing. My situation sounds different from yours, where your line just came apart, I sliced mine stupidly on a sharp rock.

Age would've been my first guess, but you just bought it. My second guess would be chemicals. Gasoline or oil on your hands from servicing your boat or vehicle is most often the culprit. Even if you don't realize you had some, getting it on the line is a sure way to weaken it.

Quote Originally Posted by mikechell View Post
    Age would've been my first guess, but you just bought it. My second guess would be chemicals. Gasoline or oil on your hands from servicing your boat or vehicle is most often the culprit. Even if you don't realize you had some, getting it on the line is a sure way to weaken it.
    Rio makes their lines from PVC. Airflo makes their lines from Polyurethane, which stands up to chemicals and UV much better. I've fished their spey lines heavily for about 6 years now without any problems.
    Danny

5. Default Re: Fly line break

If it were chemically damaged, would that lead to breakage? Isn't it the core that's the strength and isn't the core typically dacron? Is that subject to chemical damage?

I don't have a boat and have not done anything to the car. Only thing I have had on my hands is some hand lotion on my right thumb for cracked skin. Hope this is not he problem, if so I'll stop using lotion. Anyway just waiting on the line to return.
    Thanks all
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by biker1usa View Post
    Defective line ! Should not happen regardless. Did both pieces have core ? Or maybe one got away. How did core look where break took place ?

....... pc

The core appeared to be small frayed filaments coming out each section of the line. Almost none at all. I have never had a line do this, even the other RIO lines I have. I hope I have better luck with a new line.

Well, two weeks later and nothing from RIO. Sent the line exactly two weeks ago. Hope this is not a sign. I spend a good bit of money and get nothing. Typical.

Please delete. Line has finally been replaced.
    Thanks
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast