Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  19
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Pros and cons of mono and coated running lines

Standing there holding the cork...good one! I did that a lot this fall. Didn't seem to matter how short or long I was casting, but a lot of other people were in the same boat down here this year. Small consolation

It is still fun once in a while, though, to see how far you can zing one out there.

That's another thread, the mid-belly casting thread, that I haven't replied to yet.
    MC

"At least we don't have any stinky fish we gotta clean."

Bob Nall

Blog Entries

That "standing there holding the cork" thing. That was a description I made years ago about using shooting heads and sink tips. Once it's out there you can't do much but hope for the best. Fishing is a game for me and that is why I use the leader rigging that I use. It demands that I be involved in every cast and drift. I made a video about technique 2 years ago and at the very end I think I summed it up saying that I couldn't say you'll catch more fish but you'll definitely be more involved. There's a copy of it in a sticky thread here in the Spey forums and another in a thread stuck on General Discussions. If you like being involved in your fishing maybe take a look

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

OK, I thought standing there holding the cork referred to getting skunked!
    MC

"At least we don't have any stinky fish we gotta clean."

Bob Nall

Blog Entries

No it's how I feel when my head is so short that once I cast it into the water I can't mend or control at all. I recently bought a Rio Skagit Max but have used many of them over the years. I just had not owned any myself. I do believe it will be useful in certain circumstances when I have a Z-15 tip on it and can just throw down and across for short swings.

My entire history with fly rods has been very heavily influenced by the desire to use streamers. Here where I fish it doesn't matter what species I'm after it is all streamer fishing all the time. Perhaps all the years of trout fishing made me the way I am but I want to cast across, straight across and then set things up with a drift before I start passing the fly across the river. I just enjoy doing it and when I use short heads and long sink tips I'm out of my element.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234