Ballistic Spey Lines;

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I was able to spend some time with the developer of Ballistic lines this past week and became a convert. I was in search of a correct line for a Sage X 14 foot eight weight rod that I have owned for 2 years but used only once. The lack of use was directly related to the fact that the rod did not work as well as a 13' 6" Sage One I have been using for years prior to buying the X rod.

It had been 3 years since I had first met Lee Davison and circumstances brought him back to Alaska once again this year. He had with him the complete line up of his mid Spey and long belly lines all on reels so it was a simple process to get the right line on the X rod. His choice was from his Launcher series and he hit it right on the first line. He demoed the line for me on the rod for a while then handed it to me, this could be said to be a little intimidating because this fellow is a genuine Spey casting champion. I was not as efficiant as he with the combo but once over the stigma that a pro was watching I got into the groove with the combo.

Prior to this I had counted on the rod using the same Super Scandi lines I use on the 8 weight One but there was something missing. Just a week ago I was discussing the rod / line quandary with the area Hardy Rep while testing the new Hardy rods on the river as we fished for kings in vain. I had guessed at the time that perhaps the problem could be as small as 50 grains of head weight in either direction. The line I got from Lee is the 540 grain having a 47 foot head and those 60 grains unlocked the rods potential to the extent I will be using it this evening.

Of course I have designed a new one of my strange weighted leaders to compensate for the fact that I will be casting the floating tip not a 15 foot sink tip but I expect the rod will work fine once I make whatever technique changes are required to compensate for my leader ;)

If you have not looked to the Ballistic Flylines you may find something there to meet your own special need rod. I tried out some of his single hand lines as well casting from a 9 foot Loop rod and can give them the thumbs up also. He makes a range of longer bellied lines also but for the conditions I face regularly here I am limited to the 45 to 50 foot head lengths due to casting weighted flies and leaders. For those who typically fish in lower water conditions or for species that can be coaxed into the upper strata of the rivers channels casting his Vector series lines delivers pure casting pleasure.

I made this post as a heads up type thing in case readers are not at all familiar with the brand and because this man strikes me as a very sincere person who is doing what he loves to a very high standard. I plan to slowly change over many of my lines to his designs as the year goes on. If you contact Ballistic don't be shy, tell them Ard sent you that direction.

eastfly66

Reaction score
Hey Ard,

I got to see Lee at last years Spey Nation and he gave a fantastic presentation. I did get to have a short lesson and try one of his lines, it was a long head and a humbling experience but also motivating as it certain put all my flaws on the table. On the Vector lines , I am guessing that I can attach a sinking poly leader like other heads right ?

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Paul,

The line he fixed me up with is from the Launch series and they do take multiple tips. You can use floating, intermediate etc. with them. The Vector lines were not focused on although I cast with them I didn't pay close attention to how the head to tip was configured. I am planning to get myself one of the Hardy Zephrus in either the 14'6" or 15' 1" length and then get with him down in Idaho next year to get the rod sorted out with either a Vector or Vector Magnum line. I've been interested in going down to fish the Clearwater and or Snake Rivers for steelhead for years and it looks as if I might get to do it. Having someone with his abilities to connect with down there makes it even more attractive now.

Until I have more experience with different lines I can't speak beyond the Launch series...………...

eastfly66

Reaction score
I think I might look into one of the mid length lines to start , longer than what I currently use but not those mega length heads , my timing just isn't ready for that. hey, maybe you can plan a road trip with Lee and join him for Spey Nation Pulaski next year :)

eastfly66

Reaction score
That is what I had in mind ! You guys will need a grunt to watch the booth and fetch you lunch so sign me up :)

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I have no fish to report because we are in a very poor return at this time but...……………. I spent the day casting with the previously unused and unfavored Sage X 14 foot 8 weight. I set it up as follows, the Ballistic Launch line - 7' of 60 pound mono followed by a 4 foot T8 section and tipped with 3 foot of 12 pound fluorocarbon to which I tied a Jock O' Dee salmon fly. With that set up I'm able to cast up to 85 to 95 feet with what I would call ease. During periods when the wind calmed down I believe it hit 100 a couple casts. Almost every river I fish in this area can be handled with 65 - 75 foot maximum casts and often shorter ones are needed. I have been curious of how the rod would work if I got it lined correctly. I know the distances because I measured the head and it is 47', I know my leader is 14 foot, I can estimate the running line shot out the tip and when the rod is extended there is 12 foot of it in front of me. The river I'm fishing is stuck at only 1100 kings returned so far this year and finding any as they are trickling in is tough so I had fun seeing how well I could cast the X rod. I'll keep at it and am sure that if I removed the weighted leader that would be worth a few more feet of casting distance but then I'd never catch anything so the weight stays.

You can subtract about ten foot from those distances when I tie a large air resistant weighted tube fly onto the same leader rig but it still reaches everything I need to reach here. I'm now a Ballistic believer :)

Last edited:

coug

Reaction score
Lee has always been a major local presence at the Red Shed spey clave and at our fishing club expo. Great guy, and his lines are very popular here on the Clearwater. And Ard hit it on the head, Lee can really cast!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Lee has always been a major local presence at the Red Shed spey clave and at our fishing club expo. Great guy, and his lines are very popular here on the Clearwater. And Ard hit it on the head, Lee can really cast!
No doubt about the casting! I'm not in that league but the new line has added some length to my game without any added effort from me :)

Minor topic hijack coming your way:

Hi Dewayne,

Yeah, the spot where you and Ashton and I camped is basically devoid of salmon, the entire river is currently stuck in the 60's range. The other river where counts are conducted is at 25% of the count for this date just last year. And.... last year that river failed to make the minimum escapement number until very late in the year when a few stragglers finally moved upriver.

I was up on the stretch where the people tried to crowd us yesterday for 6 hours and saw no trace of a salmon. This doesn't mean I give up but I'm not traveling back up there today, I'll go again tomorrow to see if any have came in. Whether it's a factor or not the Big Su is very high with runoff, if it were to rise another 2 feet the spit where you moor boats will be inundated. The thinking is that high fresh water brings them in but we're still waiting.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's an interesting development, a fellow I had fishing this past week used the Sage X with the Ballistic line for 3 days. He was a good caster and handled the set up like a pro. In those 3 days he caught 10 Kings but by evening of the third day the water was really high, much higher than day one due to rains. When I put a Z-15 leader on with a truly large weighted AK. Assassin tube fly the line couldn't carry the load. I even tried it myself to be sure it wasn't just fatigue considering the guy had been fishing over 11 hours. It wasn't him, it was the load.

So, I made an 11 foot sink tip of Z-9 and removed the floating tip thus getting rid of the taper. Then I looped the tip on and added 2 feet of Maxima and the fly. Presto! This created a 34 foot Skagit style head with an 13 foot tip attachment. This put everything on track and the rod will easily cast this combo out to 90 or more feet. I actually like it and it will be my high water set up from here on.