Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  10
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Ballistic Spey Lines;

Quote Originally Posted by coug View Post
    Lee has always been a major local presence at the Red Shed spey clave and at our fishing club expo. Great guy, and his lines are very popular here on the Clearwater. And Ard hit it on the head, Lee can really cast!
    No doubt about the casting! I'm not in that league but the new line has added some length to my game without any added effort from me

Minor topic hijack coming your way:

Hi Dewayne,

Yeah, the spot where you and Ashton and I camped is basically devoid of salmon, the entire river is currently stuck in the 60's range. The other river where counts are conducted is at 25% of the count for this date just last year. And.... last year that river failed to make the minimum escapement number until very late in the year when a few stragglers finally moved upriver.

I was up on the stretch where the people tried to crowd us yesterday for 6 hours and saw no trace of a salmon. This doesn't mean I give up but I'm not traveling back up there today, I'll go again tomorrow to see if any have came in. Whether it's a factor or not the Big Su is very high with runoff, if it were to rise another 2 feet the spit where you moor boats will be inundated. The thinking is that high fresh water brings them in but we're still waiting.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

2. Likes ia_trouter liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Ballistic Spey Lines;

Here's an interesting development, a fellow I had fishing this past week used the Sage X with the Ballistic line for 3 days. He was a good caster and handled the set up like a pro. In those 3 days he caught 10 Kings but by evening of the third day the water was really high, much higher than day one due to rains. When I put a Z-15 leader on with a truly large weighted AK. Assassin tube fly the line couldn't carry the load. I even tried it myself to be sure it wasn't just fatigue considering the guy had been fishing over 11 hours. It wasn't him, it was the load.

So, I made an 11 foot sink tip of Z-9 and removed the floating tip thus getting rid of the taper. Then I looped the tip on and added 2 feet of Maxima and the fly. Presto! This created a 34 foot Skagit style head with an 13 foot tip attachment. This put everything on track and the rod will easily cast this combo out to 90 or more feet. I actually like it and it will be my high water set up from here on.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

4. Likes J.James liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12