Click and Pawl

coug

Reaction score
Looking for a new reel for an 8152 that is on order through the Red Shed. The setup is for short- and mid-belly lines of 50 to 70' for my home waters of the Snake and clearwater. I have a couple of Saracione MKIV's and love them. Thought I would put a C&P reel on the new rod and am looking at the new Saracione C&P or a Perfect. Anyone have experience with the new Saracione? Might also just get the V with the sealed drag.

flytie09

Reaction score
Saracione are great reels. Can't go wrong with that pick.

Some new C&P reel options that come to mind.

- Hardy Perfect
- Kingpin Spey
- Kingpin Stella
- Hardy St George Hotspur
- Henshaw Perfect
- Farlex
- Olson

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I use a 4 1/4" wide spool Perfect on some of my larger rods and it works fine. The clicker is on the loud side but you get used to it quickly. After a spring broke nearly 5 years ago while I was in Oregon I stopped at Archuletta's shop and bought a pair of his heavy duty springs for the reel. The difference in tension is very noticeable from off to high and it has enough for large fish.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
I use a 4 1/4" wide spool Perfect on some of my larger rods and it works fine. The clicker is on the loud side but you get used to it quickly. After a spring broke nearly 5 years ago while I was in Oregon I stopped at Archuletta's shop and bought a pair of his heavy duty springs for the reel. The difference in tension is very noticeable from off to high and it has enough for large fish.
Short of running over a reel with your car (sigh ... I did that once .... Don't ask .... if it breaks Bill can fix danged near anything. Told that if the part is no longer available (he has boxes/bins of parts) you have a 'paper weight' for your office desk.

zonk1085

Reaction score
Any opinions on the Hardy Marquis Salmon 3? I have a Taupo on a 12'9" 6wt and an Abel Spey on a 13' 7wt but looking for something heavier to balance a 7139-4 Burkheimer. Would welcome other suggestions. Outfit would primarily be mid-belly lines for Quebec salmon next June.

flytie09

Reaction score
They are a good value. I have one of the earlier generations. They are very very loud....have an easy to adjust drag knob......maybe a 1/2 turn of adjustment. However, I am a little disappointed with the strength of the factory springs. Very much a personal thing. I engage both pawls. The newer Marquis claim to have a larger range of adjustment....not sure if the springs are heavier or not. You can upgrade them to the stiffer springs from a Bougle if you so desire. Bill Archuletta has them.

Check this out.... Meiser gives weights of the various Hardy Reels. An Abel Spey is 9.5 ounces. A Marquis Salmon 3 is 9.9 ounces....but with all of that backing...is much heavier.

Hardy Reels - R.B. Meiser Fly Rods

The Kingpin Spey is a great reel too at 10 oz. If you keep your eyes peeled....they can be found used for decent prices.

SPEY - 400 — Kingpin

The Farlow Regals, also made by Kingpin, are an outstanding reel as well. A little heavy maybe for you at 11.64 oz. A real looker so to speak. A 4" is available on the bay from this Forum's owner - Thomas Turner for a good price. Maybe they will cut you a good deal on the "buy it now" with some sweet talking. I've not had a bad deal dealing with them in the past.

YouTube

Good luck!

ft09

fffl

Reaction score
surprised no one mentioned the new Abel TR 2 C/P reel . I have 3 of them , they are large arbor and need no adjustment to go from left to right hand retrieve . well thought out design in every way, can't go wrong with this reel.

flytie09

Reaction score
They’re limited on sizing are they not? I only see a max size of a 5/6.

coug

Reaction score
surprised no one mentioned the new Abel TR 2 C/P reel . I have 3 of them , they are large arbor and need no adjustment to go from left to right hand retrieve . well thought out design in every way, can't go wrong with this reel.
I have two of the older generation TR2's and love them. Use them on my bamboo and graphite 4wt trout rods. Have not tried the new model.

coug

Reaction score
Saracione are great reels. Can't go wrong with that pick.
I ended up with the Saracione 4" G&P. I enjoy dealing with them. The reel itself is dynamite, it has a very loud growl with stiff springs and typical Saracione quality. Perfect for steelhead. It served me well last fall and was a joy to use. It was a tough choice though, I have perfects for my main 5wt and 6wt single hand trout rods and just love the tradition and performance. Love the sound of a perfect when a fish is making a run.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Those are pretty reels, no doubt they work well also based on everything I've heard from owners and so few for sale pre owned. I replaced my Taupo, thought I wouldn't miss it, I was wrong :)

coug

Reaction score
Those are pretty reels, no doubt they work well also based on everything I've heard from owners and so few for sale pre owned. I replaced my Taupo, thought I wouldn't miss it, I was wrong :)
I never understood the passion for Hardy reels until I owned one! Then two, then....

zonk1085

Reaction score
I ended up purchasing a Hardy Cascapedia 8/9 from another forum member to pair with the 7139 Burkie. Not a true click and pawl, but has a very pleasant outgoing & ingoing clicks which can be disengaged with a switch. I lined it with a Delta Spey II 7/8 and 150 yards of 30# Dacron. Found this to be a bit snug so opted to take a few feet off the end of the fly line rather than at the expense of less backing. Aesthetics is a personal thing but I'm digging the looks of the S shaped handle. Think I'm going to like this one just as much as my Perfect.