Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  20
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Default Re: Help with trout Spey Skagit Setup

You're right, you can cast pretty much anywhere if you make adjustments to your feet and anchor, but there's lots of other variables at play as well. Those things come with time, and hopefully will become almost second nature.

I don't really know if it woud be easier with a longer leader and a light fly over a short leader and a bigger fly. I've never tried it with one of these short skagits, I have a single hand spey line for that. Give it a try, you may like what happens.

I just got a floating tip, based on some advise that it is easier to learn with a floating tip vs sinking.

Should you be able to cast "bigger" flies with a skagit head then you could with a WF line?

Am wondering if part of my challenge is expecting a 905 to cast streamers in sizes more appropriate for longer 6 and 7wt rods?

Quote Originally Posted by bigal36 View Post
    I just got a floating tip, based on some advise that it is easier to learn with a floating tip vs sinking.

Should you be able to cast "bigger" flies with a skagit head then you could with a WF line?

Am wondering if part of my challenge is expecting a 905 to cast streamers in sizes more appropriate for longer 6 and 7wt rods?
    Tricky question, with a name like "big Al" I think it depends on what you consider "bigger"....but yes, a skagit will toss a larger fly than a typical WF.

4. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Just as it is easier to learn to Spey cast with a full floating line vs a sink tip it is easier to cast a small fly than a heavier large one. So, learn to cast with small flies and then use larger flies when casting become proficient. You will then be able to determine how heavy of a fly your set up can handle.

I fish 12-13 ft, 6-7 wt Spey rods with various floating and sinking line systems. Although I cast some very large flies they are nearly weightless. For me, heavily weighted flies take too much joy out of the casting and fishing...

Quote Originally Posted by eastfly66 View Post
    Tricky question, with a name like "big Al" I think it depends on what you consider "bigger"....but yes, a skagit will toss a larger fly than a typical WF.
    Size 4 and 6, weighted slump busters are what I have been using with the 905...225gr and a 7.5' sinking tip.

The one thing I seem to consistently unable to achieve, enough tension on the line to get the rig to fully unfurl - I try going as slow as possible, with elbows in and fishing high.

Something is missing.

Quote Originally Posted by bigal36 View Post
    Size 4 and 6, weighted slump busters are what I have been using with the 905...225gr and a 7.5' sinking tip.

The one thing I seem to consistently unable to achieve, enough tension on the line to get the rig to fully unfurl - I try going as slow as possible, with elbows in and fishing high.

Something is missing.
    does the cast go better with an unweighted smaller fly ?

Quote Originally Posted by eastfly66 View Post
    does the cast go better with an unweighted smaller fly ?
    Have never tried it....next move is going with a size 12 weight nymph!!

I find these lines cast with a med-large fly better than something like a size 12 nymph. A larger or heavier fly will help your anchor stick better.
    Danny

Quote Originally Posted by huronfly View Post
    I find these lines cast with a med-large fly better than something like a size 12 nymph. A larger or heavier fly will help your anchor stick better.
    Do you find using a floating tip is easier vs a sink tip?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345