wullf ambush anyone

flav

Reaction score
I've only used it on a SH rod, but several guys I know use it on their switches. It's basically an integrated Skagit with more of a scandi taper. In my experience it doesn't turn over as heavy of junk as a true Skagit, but it turns over more smoothly, and the integrated running line is great if you're stripping streamers. The Ambush has a lot of fans, although many SH guys are switching over to even shorter heads like the commando and scout.

ddb

Reaction score
As a spey/slkagit line for a switch rod the Ambush should be upsized 3xs over the line weight called for to properly load the rod.

I use 5/6 Ambush lines on 5/6 wt single handers for streamer fishing big waters. Works fine overhead in long casting but for max distance and efficiency of effort you really should master some techniques for managing the running line and maximizing rod loading at critical stages of the cast.

In two handed use you have to slow the cast way down. Let water tension on the head and leader load the rod, not rod speed. With the upsized, heavier, heads you'll be surprised how well they manage big, heavy, flies and sink tips.

ddb

jangles

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Marana ,Hellazonia . Idaho , Utah , Mt , NM and Wy
Thanks for the replies . I don't have a switch or spey rod except for an 8' s-glass 4wt that I built . I also have a 10' 3wt single hand to use this line on . I will onl be fishing streams and small rivers in Id, Mt and Wy for trout .
I want to be able to roll cast , overhand cast and swing small stuff (buggers etc)) w/o having to false cast like other wf lines . I got the 4wt for a Christmas present so instead of telling me what I can't do with it please tell me what it's reasonable to expect it to do . Thanks again for the replies .

jddietrich

Reaction score
I've used an upsized Ambush on my 6 wt. switch and a 5 wt. on my single hand 5 wt. rod. The 5 wt. does a pretty good job throwing large streamers both overhead and spey (double spey and snap T). Depending on the size fly you want to throw, you might want to check out thr Rio single hand spey. That's my go to light line for swinging small streamers and soft hackles.

jangles

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I talked to the people at Reds Fly shop where it was bought and the guy stands behind the sale of 4wt Ambush line for my 3wt 10' single handed rod . If it is true that it has to be up sized , I'll use it on my "O"wt rd . I've seen him cast in many videos on YouTube so hopefully he knows what he's talking about . Thanks again for the replies .
Ron

lake flyer

Reaction score
Jangles, the 4 wt should be fine on your 3 wt rod. I doubt your 0 wt will have the backbone to cast it comfortably. Previous posts about upsizing were for switch or Spey rods which are rated differently than single hand built rods. Wulff ambush lines are rated for single hand rods, so just because you add a lower handle to a 3 weight rod for two handed casting it is still a three weight rod. Usually a rod built specifically as a two handed 3weight switch rod or Spey rod will be the equivalent of a 6 weight single hand rod. Pretty confusing. I use a 5 weight Ambush on a 5weight single hand rod for throwing big dries on long leaders and streamers on sink tips. It’s great for streamers but pretty splashy for dry flies. It’s great for throwing poppers for smallmouth bass. I use both Spey type casts as well as overhead, no problem at all With either style.

tcorfey

Reaction score
Your 10' 3wt should do fine, check out this video from the UK where the gentleman uses a 10' 4wt. If you use the same technique with small bugger patterns say in 10-12 and a 6 - 7' leader you should have no problem getting a nice turn over. remember though with a line like the Ambush to keep a couple of feet of thread inside the guides when starting the cast then allow the running line to shoot. If you try to cast with the full head out side the guides the running line is too thin to transfer the energy properly especially with an overhead cast. At least that is my experience with similar lines.

YouTube

ramjet

Reaction score
I have an 8 wt ambush that I fish on a 9 ft 8 wt rod. I added a little longer butt to the rod. I will generally loop on 4 to 8 feet of T-8 for casting streamers.

It’s a blast with SH Spey techniques and roll casts pretty well. Once I get the timing down, I can probably get a 40 or 50 ft cast with maybe 10-15 feet of room behind me.

I have never cast this setup overhead, might be ok to do if I took off the sink tip and put a bit of head inside the tip top, otherwise I think the rod would be overloaded.

HTH

ddb

Reaction score
For the record, in skagit casting with Commando type -- short bulky -- heads you want some 'overhang' of running line outside the rod tip with the full head and leader. The length of the overhand may vary from a few inches to a foot or so. If you keep any of the bulky head inside the guides, chances are it will not cleanly exit the guides and tip because of the bulky loop to loop connection.

Also the 3x upsizing is mainly true for longer DH rods. 3X upsizing will way overload a short SH rod.

ddb

huronfly

Reaction score
Well I got a chance to play with it yesterday and I have to say it is da bomb . Getting 60 plus feet roll casts pretty easy . I tried to shoot t but I forgot how so next time I get to water I'll be prepared . This is sweet line . Thanks for all the replies .
Curious what length head you have then... Most are only 20', so for a 60' cast you would need to shoot at least 15'... A 9' or 10' rod+20' head+10' tip+5' leader is only 45' max. Unless you have a really long head(at 35') or leader I don't think you were hitting 60'+ without shooting.

jangles

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Curious what length head you have then... Most are only 20', so for a 60' cast you would need to shoot at least 15'... A 9' or 10' rod+20' head+10' tip+5' leader is only 45' max. Unless you have a really long head(at 35') or leader I don't think you were hitting 60'+ without shooting.
Well I may not be saying this right . I couldn't remember how to make the snap t , d loop and perry poke cast . I do know how to roll cast though and it was damn sure going 60 feet with the roll cast . I don't know all the fancy formulas for it but I can judge pretty darn good a distance from point a to point b . And wullf ambush in a 4wt is what it is ,a damn fine line .

Edit : After thinking about it I guess , in a way , I did shoot the line after false casting and striping the head back to get the line out and then roll casting ?? Hell I don't know .

Last edited: