Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default wullf ambush anyone

whats the verdict on this line ?

Blog Entries

Default Re: wullf ambush anyone

Are you looking at these for Spey Casting or overhead?

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Also, single hand or two handed?

ddb

I've only used it on a SH rod, but several guys I know use it on their switches. It's basically an integrated Skagit with more of a scandi taper. In my experience it doesn't turn over as heavy of junk as a true Skagit, but it turns over more smoothly, and the integrated running line is great if you're stripping streamers. The Ambush has a lot of fans, although many SH guys are switching over to even shorter heads like the commando and scout.

5. Likes jangles liked this post

As a spey/slkagit line for a switch rod the Ambush should be upsized 3xs over the line weight called for to properly load the rod.

I use 5/6 Ambush lines on 5/6 wt single handers for streamer fishing big waters. Works fine overhead in long casting but for max distance and efficiency of effort you really should master some techniques for managing the running line and maximizing rod loading at critical stages of the cast.

In two handed use you have to slow the cast way down. Let water tension on the head and leader load the rod, not rod speed. With the upsized, heavier, heads you'll be surprised how well they manage big, heavy, flies and sink tips.

ddb

7. Likes Ard, jangles liked this post

Thanks for the replies . I don't have a switch or spey rod except for an 8' s-glass 4wt that I built . I also have a 10' 3wt single hand to use this line on . I will onl be fishing streams and small rivers in Id, Mt and Wy for trout .
    I want to be able to roll cast , overhand cast and swing small stuff (buggers etc)) w/o having to false cast like other wf lines . I got the 4wt for a Christmas present so instead of telling me what I can't do with it please tell me what it's reasonable to expect it to do . Thanks again for the replies .

9. Default Re: wullf ambush anyone

I've used an upsized Ambush on my 6 wt. switch and a 5 wt. on my single hand 5 wt. rod. The 5 wt. does a pretty good job throwing large streamers both overhead and spey (double spey and snap T). Depending on the size fly you want to throw, you might want to check out thr Rio single hand spey. That's my go to light line for swinging small streamers and soft hackles.

10. Likes jangles liked this post

I talked to the people at Reds Fly shop where it was bought and the guy stands behind the sale of 4wt Ambush line for my 3wt 10' single handed rod . If it is true that it has to be up sized , I'll use it on my "O"wt rd . I've seen him cast in many videos on YouTube so hopefully he knows what he's talking about . Thanks again for the replies .
    Ron
    Thread Killer

Jangles, the 4 wt should be fine on your 3 wt rod. I doubt your 0 wt will have the backbone to cast it comfortably. Previous posts about upsizing were for switch or Spey rods which are rated differently than single hand built rods. Wulff ambush lines are rated for single hand rods, so just because you add a lower handle to a 3 weight rod for two handed casting it is still a three weight rod. Usually a rod built specifically as a two handed 3weight switch rod or Spey rod will be the equivalent of a 6 weight single hand rod. Pretty confusing. I use a 5 weight Ambush on a 5weight single hand rod for throwing big dries on long leaders and streamers on sink tips. It’s great for streamers but pretty splashy for dry flies. It’s great for throwing poppers for smallmouth bass. I use both Spey type casts as well as overhead, no problem at all With either style.

13. Thanks jangles thanked for this post

Your 10' 3wt should do fine, check out this video from the UK where the gentleman uses a 10' 4wt. If you use the same technique with small bugger patterns say in 10-12 and a 6 - 7' leader you should have no problem getting a nice turn over. remember though with a line like the Ambush to keep a couple of feet of thread inside the guides when starting the cast then allow the running line to shoot. If you try to cast with the full head out side the guides the running line is too thin to transfer the energy properly especially with an overhead cast. At least that is my experience with similar lines.

15. Likes jangles liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast