Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Default Recommendations For 11"1" 5-6 wt

After just buying a 300 gr skagit scout to make a single handed 9' 8 wt rod into a short skagit rod...I now have a 11' 1" 5-6 wt Aetos on its way to my door.
    I have cassette style reels and am looking for recommendations on two types of lines for this rod.
    One line will be for Skagit Casting or spey style with little room in behind me. The other line I want will be for mainly nymph fishing,
    I am not specific to any company when it comes to lines just looking for the best set ups for what I'm doing. Mainly will be in large creeks to small rivers...Great Lake Tribs for Steelhead and Salmon. Any information is appreciated as I find lines are very exhausting to study today.
    Life is too short to not own at least one piece of Hardy fly fishing gear

Default Re: Recommendations For 11"1" 5-6 wt

My apologies maybe moderator can move this to Spey lines forum

I think the grain window for that rod is about 300-350 grains, similar to the 11 foot 5/6 I fish. I would think that 300 grain OPST Commando might actually be a pretty nice skagit for that rod. For nymphing with a switch I like a scandi taper, maybe 25 to 30 feet. I think the airflo switch float 4.5 weight (300 grains) is what I'd look at. You can even attach a poly leader and swing with it if you feel the need. Steve Godshall made me a nice nymphing line, called the nympher supreme, for one of my switches which was similar to the airflo just a tad longer. Awesome line, and buddies that tried it raved about how easily it turned over heavy flies and indicators.

4. Likes Ard liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by flav View Post
    I think the grain window for that rod is about 300-350 grains, similar to the 11 foot 5/6 I fish. I would think that 300 grain OPST Commando might actually be a pretty nice skagit for that rod. For nymphing with a switch I like a scandi taper, maybe 25 to 30 feet. I think the airflo switch float 4.5 weight (300 grains) is what I'd look at. You can even attach a poly leader and swing with it if you feel the need. Steve Godshall made me a nice nymphing line, called the nympher supreme, for one of my switches which was similar to the airflo just a tad longer. Awesome line, and buddies that tried it raved about how easily it turned over heavy flies and indicators.
    Well I had purchased a 300 gr Skagit Scout for a single handed 8 wt rod that now that I have this rod coming might just use for both rods. I have research to do and hopefully the 300 grain skagit scout works for the 11' 1" 5-6 wt as well as the single handed 8 wt. That would leave me looking for more of a nymphing line for this rod.
    I need to take a night course in modern fly lines lol

I'm also interested in this as I just purchased the same 11' 5/6 weight rod. Let me know how those lines work out for you. I was also thinking Airflo switch in 300 grain for an all around taper, but I also want something more of a shorter skagit style head for throwing bigger streamers with sink tips.

The Airflo switch float 300 grain will work for 5wt 11ft, but going to be a bit light for 6wt especially if you are using polyleaders. My 5wt 11ft GLX is rated for 350, but I've used it with 300 Airflo switch float, 315 intermediate (SGS line) and 330 Scout with iMOW light to T-9 9ft. The 300 switch float is good for presentation like nymphing and soft hackle and for smaller streamer. To be honest, I didn't use that line much since I much preferred the intermediate and the 330 scout.

I've just recently switched from Airflo Scout to SA Spey Lite Integrated. I liked them so far with plus/minus.
    the plus is no more loop to loop connection to stuck on your guide but I now have to bring an extra spool or reel for my intermediate head. Distance wise, a tad shorter with the same effort, but it doesn't bother me.

For 11ft switch with 16-17 ft head or shorter, you stroke should compact, in the box, and slow. With lighter tip I kinda kept the rod tip almost parallel to the water during the entire sweep and raised the tip only at the start of the 1/2 circle to create the D loop to keep the anchor in the water. I know it is against the steady gradual rod tip raise teaching, but that way works for me. using heavier T-8 tip I would then follow the teaching.
    I am highly qualified to comment in this forum after receiving a Specialized High Intensive Training (S.H.I.T) at the Olde Schitt Institute of Technology (O.S.H.I.T).

I ended up grabbing a 300 grain Rio Scandi (31 feet) and a 325 grain Rio Skagit Max (20 feet) along with the Airflo Switch. I've at least got a few options. Just need to learn how to cast now!

After more research I purchased the Airflo Switch Streamer 5.5 wt which is a 390 gr integrated line. If weather keeps as is will be able to try out in a week or so. Looking at a intermediate line now as well for lake fishing trout early spring. Keeping the 300 gr skagit scout for my single handed 9' 8 wt as i felt it would be light for my 11' 5-6 switch. Will let you know how it works out soon.