Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
  1. Default Single Hand Spey Line

I noticed on a Rio fly line advertisement that the Rio Single Hand 5 wt Spey Line is actually a 7 wt line. I tried a Cortland 444 weight forward 7 wt fly line on my 5 wt Orvis Recon and couldn't tell any difference, to me they both seem to handle identically. Has anyone else tried this?

2. Likes Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Single Hand Spey Line

I'm not aware of the weights of 'normal' 5 and 7 weight forward heads on lines however I can tell you that I used normal Scientific Anglers Mastery WF line to preform what is now widly known as single hand Spey casting for years. Recently I wanted to give my old Orvis 9 1/2 foot eight weight Light Salmon rod a second chance at life so I ordered the Rio In Touch single hand Spey 3D line for it in 8 weight. The #8 line weighs 300 grains and a 7 weighs 260.

I think that it the way the new design distributes the mass more to the rear of the head that makes them different than the standard floating WF lines. I now wonder if I made a mistake by getting the 3D line instead of the regular line. This 3D has 10 foot of hover line (whatever that is) and another 10 feet of intermediate sinking line in the front end of the taper. I won't know until I get it on the water how that will affect the line pick up with the whole head out the tip of the rod.

The main reason I use all floating lines and rely on a sinking leader design to get flies down is the ease of picking up floating line for another cast. I may have goofed ordering this one.

I do think that you may benefit from the 5 weight single hand taper design over using a standard WF line. It all will come down to how skilled you are at doing the casts. If you have it nailed then you can make a 5 - 6 or even a 7 standard WF line work for you. If you are just learning then maybe try the speciality line....

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Quote Originally Posted by Ard View Post
    I'm not aware of the weights of 'normal' 5 and 7 weight forward heads on lines however I can tell you that I used normal Scientific Anglers Mastery WF line to preform what is now widly known as single hand Spey casting for years. Recently I wanted to give my old Orvis 9 1/2 foot eight weight Light Salmon rod a second chance at life so I ordered the Rio In Touch single hand Spey 3D line for it in 8 weight. The #8 line weighs 300 grains and a 7 weighs 260.

I think that it the way the new design distributes the mass more to the rear of the head that makes them different than the standard floating WF lines. I now wonder if I made a mistake by getting the 3D line instead of the regular line. This 3D has 10 foot of hover line (whatever that is) and another 10 feet of intermediate sinking line in the front end of the taper. I won't know until I get it on the water how that will affect the line pick up with the whole head out the tip of the rod.

The main reason I use all floating lines and rely on a sinking leader design to get flies down is the ease of picking up floating line for another cast. I may have goofed ordering this one.

I do think that you may benefit from the 5 weight single hand taper design over using a standard WF line. It all will come down to how skilled you are at doing the casts. If you have it nailed then you can make a 5 - 6 or even a 7 standard WF line work for you. If you are just learning then maybe try the speciality line....
    Put me firmly in with the "just learning" crowd. I have, though, found that sizing up with Wulff Ambush on an older Orvis Hydros 7 wt. 10 foot turned what had been a broomstick into something I can work pretty comfortably on basic spey and double snake casts. That said, I can execute those casts on my 5 wt. Orvis Recon with 5 wt WFF without much trouble. Go figure. Nice thing about the Ambush is it's floating, so can add a sinking leader like Rio's Versileader if necessary, but revert to standard leaders when the situation calls for it. Easier to change the leader than the line.

5. Likes Ard liked this post

I have been uplining my single hand rods by 2 or 3 line weights for years and I definely notice a difference for roll and spey casts. It takes a heavier line to load your rod when you spey cast because the tip of the line is anchored on the water's surface and part of force from your backcast goes there instead of all into your rod like it does in an overhead cast. To compensate for this line designers have had to make lines designed for spey casting heavier than overhead lines for the same rod. The old AFTMA line rating system is not designed for this, it's designed for overhead casting 30 feet of line.

There definitely is a weight difference between a 5 weight Cortland 444 and a Rio SHS, but they're both designed to cast on a 5 weight. So you'll see a difference if you put a 7 weight 444 on your 5 weight, but it's a line designed for overhead casting so the improvement is less pronounced than it would be with a line designed for roll casting like the SHS or wulff triangle taper.

7. Thanks Ard thanked for this post
    Likes lake flyer liked this post