Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
    Blog Entries

Default New RIO Single Hand 3D Spey Lines;

I was able to spend the day on a river today and we loaded the boat with plenty of rods and lines to cast. Among the lines there were 2 of the RIO Single Hand Spey 3D lines. I was able to try these on a 9 1/2 foot Sage ONE 7 weight and on a 9 foot Sage Method rod.

These are the triple density lines with the rear part of the body being floating line which transitions into what RIO calls Hover line and then to an intermediate tip. We fixed the lines with 10 foot Airflow clear poly leaders with tippet and un-weighted trout streamers.

The ONE seemed to handle the line better that the Method for both casters. I think these lines (RIO 3D single hand Spey) are good for tight spots where you want a 40 foot cast straight across a creek or small river but have very limited space to your rear for back cast. I was able to make casts to around 40' easily with as little as 5 to 10 feet between my back and a wall of Alders and Willow.

If you cast them overhead with a rod like the ONE they are a very good distance line but I can't imaging me being able to hit much beyond 55 or 60 feet using the one hand Spey cast. Maybe I'll get better with the combo....

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Blog Entries

Default Re: New RIO Single Hand 3D Spey Lines;

Thanks for the post Ard.

I'll have to get the 3D line now. The 4 and 6 weight floating versions are my favourite light lines at the moment and I have need of lines that will let my fly sink deeper than a floating line will. These seem to be a good option.

BTW, with a haul added, the Rio SH Spey lines will happily deliver your fly at 75' with practice.

Cheers,
    Graeme
    FFi Certified Casting Instructor

Failing to practice is practicing to fail.

3. Likes omas liked this post
    Blog Entries

Hi Graeme,

When you say "with a haul" are you talking about an overhead cast or using a haul on the line during an anchored Spey style cast?

I did manage to get some longer water born casts with the rod / line combo by beginning the forward stroke and you could feel a definite tug of resistance when the anchored portion of line began to put load into the rod. At that instant (timing was important) if you made a fast haul with the free / line hand I could add substantially to the amount of loading and therefore saw increased distance with very limited D loop distance to my rear.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Blog Entries

G'day Ard,

I'm talking about a haul on the forward cast of an anchored cast. Simon Gawesworth calls it a "turbo cast", but it's just a haul made late in the stroke coinciding with the rotation part of the stroke. (Good casters can also haul on the back cast to sharpen the D into a V loop. I'm not there yet. )

(I'll see if I can find a video online of someone doing it. If not, I'll upload one of my practice sessions showing it.)

Cheers,
    Graeme
    Last edited by Hirdy; 04-27-2019 at 12:56 AM.

Blog Entries

Andrew Toft is a fine caster, showing how it's done mainly from above, but there's one close up at about 5:18:

Christopher Rownes is an absolute expert. You'll see a few examples in this video:

Cheers,
    Graeme

Blog Entries

Thanks Graeme,

Both of them are using what I tried to describe, a haul with the free / line hand on the line just as the rod is coming under load. I found that that one short pull added almost another 1/4 or so in load and the yield was greater distance and a tighter loop.

One thing I almost always have problems with watching videos is that the people giving a demo on moving water generally direct the casts downstream & quartered across. This allows them to use a single Spey style cast which I would add requires a good deal of space behind the caster. That space is available …… upstream because there are no trees in the river upstream.

Here we generally are needing to cast either straight across the channel from where we stand or to angle slightly downstream but not downstream at such acute angles that I see in demos. More often than not there will be considerable vegetation to your rear and when the goal is to cast directly across / perpendicular to the flow, using the casting styles I often see demonstrated will not work.

All said those fellows are good at making it look simple

Blog Entries

Yeah, it's hard to trick physics ...

These guys are demonstrating their skills to cast a long way and make it look fluid. In doing so, they tend to have a lot of line outside the tip during the cast because that looks most graceful. They usually aren't casting with a crowded back-cast area for that reason and because it is also easier to film with free area behind. To make the most distance, they also drop the anchor further behind to really put a lot of line into that cast.

But in a fishing situation, we can't get around the fact that we're basically folding the line in half when making that D loop. If there is a lot of line outside the tip, we'll need about half that distance to throw the D loop into. Lines with long heads (e.g. the Snowbee Rollcast line at 60') need lots of room behind. The Rio SH Spey line has a head around 34' long, so we need about 20' behind to use it to its full potential. A Wulff Ambush line only needs about 13-15' behind the caster, with the rest of the casting distance made by shooting more line.

We can get a little closer to objects behind by placing the anchor further out into the river, but that's not as efficient for distance. Swings and roundabouts ....

Still, with a line like the Rio SH Spey, a 50' cast (i.e. no shooting of line required) can be handled with about 15' of room behind the caster. If I had to reach 70' with only 15' behind me, I think I'd opt for an Ambush line and shoot the distance. It would be ugly, but the cast would get there. I wouldn't want someone filming it!

Cheers,
    Graeme

9. Thanks jddietrich thanked for this post
    Likes Ard liked this post

Ard, I think you're going to like that 3D line for swinging and stripping streamers like you do. I might try leaving off that 10 foot poly though, and go with a mono leader and either a lightly weighted fly or one of your looped in mid leader weights. I think you might find the line will cast better without the poly, I know my full float SHS doesn't like a poly leader very much. That 3D line should get you down a bit and slow your swing just fine, especially if you cast upstream and let it sink before your swing like you do.

11. Likes Ard liked this post