Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Swinging flies on a 10ft 6 weight-the lines

I have a medium fast 10 ft 6 weight that will be used solely for swinging flies from say heavy weighted size 4 to light size 10's.
    I have an opst intergrated 250 for the heavy stuff which is brilliant for getting it done but it lacks in 1 department,,the mend.

So on my spare spool id like a more traditional oldschool roller for the smaller stuff.

Rio intouch trout steelhead indicator

Rio intouch salmon steelhead

Sa amplitude anadro

Any feedback on these lines for rollcasting?

Thanks

I left out rio shs as my experience with it in a 5 weight was good,but id like a longer head,its good with small wets but struggled to roll anything with a bit of weight.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Swinging flies on a 10ft 6 weight-the lines

I have both the RIO Salmon & Steelhead line and their Single hand Spey line both in eight weight. The single hand line will move mu weighted tube flies which are considerably larger than what you intend. I can also cast the same flies using the Salmon & Steelhead taper line.

The S & S line is more of a long belly but with proper technique it'll move a pretty hefty fly.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

3. Likes The op liked this post

I really like the SA Anadro. I use it on a 9'6" 6wt and a 9wt rod. I've been using them a little over a year now. Mending is very easy with them. My only thing is I use them on rods that are pretty fast. I've never been a big fan of overweighting my rods and these lines are overweighted quite a bit. I think it's 1.5 times the norm. But, I've grown to love them on my faster rods. I basically use this with my "close in" set ups before I switch to my more traditional spey rods. But I have been moving more towards an 8wt Switch with a RIO Outbound Short for close to medium work then switching to my spey set ups. Mainly because I have been finding it more comfortable to fish two handed with my tweaked back.
    There are no flying fish in Montana or Wyoming.

5. Likes The op liked this post

Anglerx,in the past ive owned obs,a very powerful taper for short to med distances like you suggest,,what i disliked was the early turnover and mending at longer distances,,in comparison of anadro/obs,do you think anadro's taper wants to turn over early?

Edit-have you tried opst commando on your switch? Id chose this over obs for ease of casting

Ard,i have 2 demo lines on their way,hopefully to arrive tommorow,,7 weight salmon steelhead and 6 weight shs,ive got high high hopes for the longbelly

I like it for turning over early and I was typically using them for my short to medium game when it's no fun trying to use a spey. I do have to give it that extra little thumb push at the end of the forward cast to get a proper loop typically using mid to heavy nymph set ups.
    There are no flying fish in Montana or Wyoming.

9. Likes The op liked this post

Anglerx,thanks,ive requsted a demo anadro line and yet to get a reply,,sounds like a 10 ft poly would suit my needs with this line

I fish the OPST commando smooth and the Rio single hand spey myself. If I had to choose a longer belly line between those three you mentioned I'd take the Salmon/steelhead without a doubt. Nice line, I fished one myself, till I discovered the shs.
    No thoughts on the indi line, I've never used a head like that. The anadro, though, looks like it rocks for overhead, but it's taper looks like a poor choice for roll casting.

12. Likes The op liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The op View Post
    Ard,i have 2 demo lines on their way,hopefully to arrive tommorow,,7 weight salmon steelhead and 6 weight shs,ive got high high hopes for the longbelly
    I took on one of the S&S lines after a long discussion with a fellow at Far Bank / RIO products. I use the line on a 9 1/2 foot 8 weight Light Salmon rod that has a 4" bottom cork I can insert. The way that the line weight was described to me was that the #8 steelhead / salmon line has the same exact head weight as the #8 single hand Spey line with the difference being length of the head.

Once I swapped the S&S line onto the rod hoer is what I found: The S&S line requires that more line be on the water (anchored) and a more pronounced D loop be allowed to form before the forward stroke. The forward or 'casting stroke' needs to be made with more speed and then stopped a bit high and abruptly. When you do that, once you have the line to rod relationship figured out the line produces the classic arrowhead type cast as it travels across the river and unfurls.

I found that the line (S&S in #8) will carry those tube flies with drop weights that I've displayed here many times, to wherever I want them out to about 60 feet with a low level of effort once you have your technique figured out.

Very hard to make these recommendations through writings on an internet forum as I trust you know. I hope you can sort out which line will best suit your needs.

I will say that if I intended casting anything heavier that I am currently using I'd lean toward the Single Hand Spey line for the front weighted taper.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

14. Likes flytie09, The op liked this post

The longer the head you want, the more difficult it will be to roll cast anything with weight... A scandi could bridge that gap, longer and more mendable than a skagit, but with easier turnover than a head with a longer belly.
    Danny

16. Likes The op liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast