Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
    Blog Entries

Default The Line Winder / easy stuff;

I have expressed my satisfaction with the Berkley Line Winding tool for years. Mine was part of a box lot I bought at a garage sale but they are sold online for $19.99 I believe. Ever since I stopped at that sale my reel life has been a breeze and my backings and fly lines are loaded and unloaded in a very professional manner.

Just the other day I found myself with this set up.

What you see there is my Hardy Ultralite Disc and a Sage Spectrum Max along with a bunch of lines I intended to swap out and load. Now that is enough to keep you busy if your plan is to have your wife holding spools on a pencil or pen while you load your reels. However, if you have one of these nifty little platforms it becomes something you can enjoy doing.

Almost any size spool of backing will fit and fly line cassettes that come with your new lines all fit as well.

Two little set screw adjusters hold the spools and you adjust the payout tension by compressing those little Poly springs then set the screws. They also allow you to center different size spools for good loading alignment.

I keep my fly tying scissors and that nail knot tool handy while doing these jobs. I've been using nail knots between backing and lines ever since I loaded my first reel and never had a failure.

Here's a 100 yard spool of RIO 30 pound Dacron in that pretty yellow centered and with just the right amount of consistant tension being applied by the keepers.

Results?

I know, I know, you can do that by wrapping the line around a doorknob and then just hollding the reel and winding it on right? Been there done that and this seems better to me

Of course the 540 grain Super Scandi with 100 feet of integrated shooting line loaded just as smoothly........... To unload reels I place an empty cassette on the bar and clamp it just tight enough to prevent wobble then I use a wooden chopstick to spin the cassette with the reels drag set at zero.

The Hardy Ultralite Disc? I unloaded a RIO In Touch Salmo / Steelhead #8 from it and then loaded the RIO single hand Spey floater in its place. The whole project done under half an hour and I somehow wish it had taken longer because it was so much fun........ Pretty nasty weather the past few days and I won't fish for a while so it's tinker time here.

Here's another little ditty that has helped out a bunch with knowing exactly what I have when it comes to lines.

I have a whole bunch of single hand lines from 3 to 7 weights that need identified and you can expect a line sale once I have them sorted

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

2. Likes ejsell, unknownflyman, spm, ia_trouter liked this post

Default Re: The Line Winder / easy stuff;

Ain't it a kick to go to a garage/yard sale, buy a box, unexplored for dirt cheap and rummage through it latter to find you didn't buy a box full of mostly junk, but found a few pieces of gold (to you)?
    Well, I wouldn't consider what you found wasn't aluminium at any rate.
    Thanks for the share! (I'm going have to frequent yard/garage sales more often)

4. Likes unknownflyman, Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

Oh the whole box was fishing stuff Ice fishing rods and reels a finishing rack with motor cork rings all sort of goodies man. I think I gave 25 bucks for the lot and it may have been 2 boxes, been almost ten years ago.......

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Blog Entries

That's pretty cool, Ard.

I've never gone to garage sales. I'm afraid of being body-blocked into the ditch by a little-old lady trying to get to a toaster.

Although not nearly as slick, this is what I built using some scrap lumber, a carriage bolt, spring, and a couple of nuts and washers. Reeealy low-tech.

Reel Winder.jpg

steve
    "As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler" ...Izaak Walton

"Nothing is as bad as something that is not so bad"...Sr. Percival Blakeney, aka The Scarlet Pimpernel

7. Likes Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

That's slick Steve,

Before I found the Berkley thing I used to clamp a small dowel in my workbench vise then loop backing around a door knob to provide some tension. I'm obviously not as inventive as you are buddy

9. Likes spm liked this post

I picked up a line remover that fits in your cordless drill. It makes the tedious task of stripping old line much more tolerable. I'm not at home so here's the amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

11. Likes Ard liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by clsmith131 View Post
    I picked up a line remover that fits in your cordless drill. It makes the tedious task of stripping old line much more tolerable. I'm not at home so here's the amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    A 3/8 bolt about 2 1/2" long, a nut and some washers works fairly slick too and takes up no storage room. Add your own empty line spool and cordless drill. Learned that from an old spin fishing buddy 20 years ago, but he wasn't trying to save the line so he often just chucked a stick he found on the ground into his drill.

13. Likes clsmith131, Ard liked this post

I use a berkley line winder just like pictured too. I also use an 8mm nut and bolt in my cordless driver for line spools and store nut and bolt in the handy pocket on the berkley. When I spool a reel I put a 5lb weight on the berkley base to keep it from hopping. That's the best mod for it unless it's screwed down.
    steve

15. Likes Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ard View Post
    I'm obviously not as inventive as you are buddy
    Ha! Yeah, right.

Thanks,
    steve
    "As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler" ...Izaak Walton

"Nothing is as bad as something that is not so bad"...Sr. Percival Blakeney, aka The Scarlet Pimpernel

17. Likes Ard liked this post