Skagit head & running line

steeleman

Reaction score
I am new to Spey fish and want to put a Skagit line on my new Danialson reel. I have researched Spey lines and the OPST Commando line intrigues me, but many say that mono running line is not for beginners. Can you help me decide on a
good beginners Skagit set up?

Thanks,
Steeleman

tcorfey

Reaction score
Steeleman, I am going to be very simplistic here, the line you choose will depend largely on the rod you are using, the reel is chosen by size, based on the capacity to hold the line you need. In a skagit setup you have backing, then running line (can be mono), then your head, then your tip, then your leader, then your tippet and finally the fly.

The rod dictates the weight of the head. The fly and the depth you intend to fish dictates the type of tip you use. The reason people use mono for running line is usually to increase distance. The reason people don't choose mono for running line is because it is harder to handle especially when its cold out. I personally use a coated fly line type running line as it shoots well and I can handle the line easier with fewer tangles and it is not so hard on my hands.

Let everyone know what rod you are using and someone can help guide you to a head and tips you might use. The head and its weight and length is the most important part of the setup. Get it right and your rod casts easily, get it wrong and it sucks.

The best source I found for getting the right setup is to talk with Steve Godshall and have him make up a line for you. He will ask all kinds of questions to get you the proper line at an affordable price. You can find his phone number on the Internet using search.

Regards,

Tim C.

flav

Reaction score
Are you fishing a two handed rod or a single hander? Since you mentioned OPST and just the reel I'm figuring single hand, but that's just a guess. It's hard to recommend a setup without knowing that.
When it comes to running line I'm like Tim and favor coated lines. Coated runners are easier to handle, don't slip, don't tangle as much, and I feel they make your head turn over more smoothly. Most guys I know use mono for distance, but I don't use a Skagit for distance, it's about ease of casting heavy tips or cutting through the wind.

steeleman

Reaction score
I have a LL Bean 12’6” 7/8 weight Streamlite rod. OPST recommended a 425 grain head,12’ sink tips & 14’ floating tip. Rio & Airflo a 520 - 560 grain Skagit head.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I used amnesia mono for running line for a few years as a beginner. You can cast a good distance with ease but the advantage ends there. Mending is a chore with much mono running line out of the rod tip. The OPST heads I have seen run short to very short, so you'll be dealing with mono all the time. I have a custom running line now but it's not integrated. I like it because I can switch heads on my different rods, or purpose for the day. Skagit, short scandi heads etc take just a minute or two to switch.

The recommendations you have seem like a pretty big spread, but don't confuse that with me thinking I know more than any of those sources.

flytie09

Reaction score
Rio, Airflo or SA Skagit lines in 510 - 540 grains would be a good starting point to explore. I prefer Airflo personally for various reasons.

As far as running lines....I like the more traditional PVC coated running lines. They may not shoot as far, but are easier to mend and handle for a beginner. I simply use a 100 ft length of .042" level taper running line commonly available from China at the unmentionable site.

Add 10' of T14 sink tip and a big ole chicken and you're in business for most anywhere.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Mono is just fine for beginners, nothing difficult or special about it, just make sure you have a large enough size and stretch the stuff well, mono needs stretching. I`m using the 40# OPST might try 50#. Mono is not great mending stuff but I normally strip line after the cast and start fishing when the fly hits the water where I fish.

Mono is good, I think the biggest benefit for me is to go from different size commando heads, to the new groove to Rage and Scandinavian heads in a blink of an eye. As much as I like intgrated lines with a coated runner it just isn't beneficial enough to be stuck with one line.

I`m usually packing my short spey and spey rod with a couple reels and a number of lines and tips, I don't get set up usually till I see the river, My home rivers vary too much.

It might be completely different where you guys are.

randyflycaster

Reaction score
Personally, I do not like mono. I find it a pain to handle and impossible to mend, but it is cheap and will help you cast farther. If you want to try mono, you can go with Berkley Big Game 40 or 50 lb.

Any good 30 lb. level running line will work.

If you want an inexpensive tapered running line that will be easier to mend, you can buy a cheap traditional fly line - probably a 5 weight - cut off most of the head, and add a braided loop connector. Certainly, a tapered line is not a distance line, but I prefer it for fishing,

Randy

tcorfey

Reaction score
Steeleman, did you see Ard's posting on a LLbean Streamlite in 13' 8wt with a Hardy reel and line? If yours is also a Streamerline but 12.5' and 8wt you might consider studying or inquiring about the setup he has on his reel.

Regards,

Tim C.

flytie09

Reaction score
I think it was Ard's if I'm not mistaken. I saw he had broken up the combo. Just a guess. This is what he had paired with it:

RIO Skagit Max 550 grain line and RIO Power Flex shooting line loaded over 100 yards of #30 backing.

Bigfly

Reaction score
I've been pleased with my new Rio "Grip shooter" running line. Beats the hell out of everything used previously.
425gr. is what I use on my 6wt rod.....525gr on my 7wt.....
Have fun out there.

Jim