The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  35
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 08-24-2017, 04:45 PM

huronfly is a name known to allhuronfly is a name known to allhuronfly is a name known to allhuronfly is a name known to allhuronfly is a name known to allhuronfly is a name known to all
Default Re: Spey reel choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb View Post
Flying against the prevailing winds here, what are the down sides to the newer, way less expensive, reels like the Redington Behemoth? Aside from the lack of classic aesthetic touches that is. God knows they seem rugged and the drags are smooth, full range adjustable and sealed. I have yet to hear of one failing.

DDB
Can't think of much, other than for spey rods I like a full cage reel that will prevent running line from pinching between the frame and spool. I use a lamson remix HD 3.5 on a switch, and use Speyco Skandi and Orvis Battenkill V c&p on spey. Behemoth is an awesome reel for the price, I just wish they had a full cage version.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:15 PM

fireroad has a spectacular aura aboutfireroad has a spectacular aura about

I went with Ross Canyon Big Game 7's on the secondary market and I'm am super pleased with them (and understand now why used ones go for so much). My buddy just picked up one of the Orvis Battenkill Disc Spey reels and it hands down the best deal in a spell reel I've seen at only $189. Orvis could have charged a $100 more for that reel and few would blink an eye.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:29 AM

ddb is on a distinguished road

I just stumbled on the ORVIS Batenkill Disc V yesterday and it looks like a nice option for the lighter trout spey and switch rods up to the 5-6 weight range. Weighs in @ 7 oz, has a sealed drag, and classic looks. Costs about twice what the Redington does but...

DDB
Old 08-26-2017, 07:46 PM

myt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud of

Even if my life depended on it I don't think I could've labored over my spey reel buying decision anymore than I did.

I was looking to balance a G. Loomis NRX 13 foot, 8/9 wt., two handed rod.

I SERIOUSLY considered the Lamson ARX 4+, Ross Animas S, and just about any other reel with at least a four inch diameter.

I finally pulled the trigger on a first generation Hatch 9+ mid-arbor when they went on sale.

I'll learn in November if the Michigan steelhead agree with my choice.
Old 09-01-2017, 05:13 PM

flytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant future

You did good. A wise choice grasshopper.

ft09

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
~Syd Glasso
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes myt1 liked this post