Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switch rod

1. Default Switch rod

Looking to get a switch rod for great lakes steelhead .I'm looking at the beluah classic not sure if I should get the 6/7 or the 7/8. Any help would be great.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Blog Entries

Default Re: Switch rod

Single handed?

Two handed?

Both?

It comes down to the how you want to fish that rod and the payloads that you intend to throw.

Dennis

3. Likes jaybo41 liked this post
    Blog Entries

If it were me, I'd opt for the 7/8. I think the grain window is right where you need to be given where you're likely fishing. Or perhaps at least to suit my tastes. Looks to me like the description lines up nicely with the ideal methods of fishing. Indicator/nymph and swinging flies. If you're unsure, give the folks at Beulah a call, I'm sure they'll steer you in the right direction. Let us know what you end up with and what your thoughts are.

From Beulah's page:

This is a 6/7 Switch on steroids. Good crossover Winter/Summer Steelhead rod for Spey or Nymphing. Excellent indicator and nymph fishing from boat or bank. Great for spey work. The 7/8 Switch Rod makes a terrific dedicated everyday Deschutes river dry line Steelhead rod. The 7/8 Switch rod can also cross over well for light salt water use casting smaller tips and Clouser size flies.

The Beulah 7/8 Switch rod is our number one selling Switch rod and the most versatile choice for big fish.

USE OF ROD:
    Spey casting Scandinavian shooting heads and compact skagits and swinging flies for steelhead. Excellent for nymphing from a boat or wading. Great for two or one hand overhead casting distance.

FLY LINE RECOMMENDATIONS:
    Scandinavian: Beulah Elixir 375 for our Switch 7/8
    Skagit: Beulah Tonic 425 for 7/8 switch

~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Quote Originally Posted by ohiohunter View Post
    Looking to get a switch rod for great lakes steelhead .I'm looking at the beluah classic not sure if I should get the 6/7 or the 7/8. Any help would be great.

Just my .02 cents. The 6/7 at 11 feet long. Have Steve Godshall (SpeyPages/Google) build you the line for same. One of mine is 'glass' and have yet to meet the fish it couldn't handle.

Well, let's leave King Salmon out of this. A 'Game over' with those Guys.

fae

0006 in the morning and a large fur face just walked into my office. Treats time again. "RESISTANCE IS FUTILE! YOU WILL SUMBIT."
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Blog Entries

I think that the Beuhlah lines were designed by Steve Godshall with the Classic Series in mind.

To confirm it, call Beuhlah or Steve.

Dennis

7. Default Re: Switch rod

I decided on the 7/8 what style of line do you guys recommend for a beginner.skagit?someone also mentioned wolf triangle?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ohiohunter View Post
    I decided on the 7/8 what style of line do you guys recommend for a beginner.skagit?someone also mentioned wolf triangle?

Re-read my original questions. Correct line choice will depend on the how you plan on casting and the payload that you intend to throw.

9. Default Re: Switch rod

I looking for a two handed line .I want to cast large articulated flies. If the is a line that can also indicator nymph its a plus.

Blog Entries

Which tribs are you fishing? If I were going to throw large articulated flies possibly with T-tips, I'd certainly want a rod capable of pushing more grains--like the 7/8.

As for line, there are switch lines ideal for indy fishing, like Speydicator and Rio's Switch line, but they are less ideal for swinging flies. You might have a look at the new Rio Chucker line. The profile seems to offer best of both worlds.

If you want to go with running line and heads, then I'd have a look at Rage and pick your favorite running line. I fished Rage 480 grain on a 11'9 rod and had no issues swinging streamers or fishing with an indy. In fact, I had a couple of different heads with me that I didn't even touch I liked the line so well.

Then there's the option Fred mentioned. I've not heard a single negative comment about anyone who's dealt with Steve Godshall.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

11. Likes flyfishusa liked this post
  12. Default Re: Switch rod

I usually hit all the Ohio tribs plus the elk in pa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast