Have we passed the 'point of no return' with custom build 2handers?

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
A specific rod I wanted, from a specific builder (his equipment is excellent) but the starting price for a 3 wt was $1,750for a 'plastic' fly rod. And that was for a minimum build, wanted 'bling' the price went up from there.

Now I can see the $700-$850 price range depending upon the rod but when there are so many really good 'low end' excellent equipment on the market is this a 'gotta have' vs just a good fishing tool?

Type here, scratch my head:shades:, and look at options.

fae

runningfish

Reaction score
I had the gotta have moment when I ordered the custom switch rod when I actually knew that I could only use it for practice and not to fish it during this No fishing sabbatical year. That time I had the "lower end" Sage one and the prospector in my short list. Although the custom switch rod is excellent it was a gotta have one and kinda regretted it.

L

Liphookedau

Hi Fred I don't think we are past The Point of no return as someone always seems to pull another Rabbit out of The Hat as we all notice when a new product comes onto the Scene it's always expensive in the first instances.
The Price Gradually drops then magic happens,someone brings out a New You - Beaut item which is claimed to be better than anything since Sliced Bread which is really only a Sales Gimmic & of course there's a higher Price Tag.
Brian

wannafish

Reaction score
I just love how the really great rods are available at a steal of a price when the new models come out! I'm glad there are people out there that can afford to buy the newest versions so they can let me know which ones to buy when the price drops lol

mojo

Reaction score
Fred, what builder/maker is asking $1750 for a graphite 2 hander? Does he roll his own or buy a blank? That seems way high, but I'm not that knowledgeable in 2 handers. Components hand made?

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Fred, what builder/maker is asking $1750 for a graphite 2 hander? Does he roll his own or buy a blank? That seems way high, but I'm not that knowledgeable in 2 handers. Components hand made?
A bit of Google will answer your first question, and yes and no to the second. Hand made strongly doubt it but the 'stuff' is top line.

As to 'who' I'll back away from publicly answering that question save for there's darned few in these high end rods. Lower priced rods (1handers) there's quite a few that build from the ground up.

fae

thenewlushlife

Reaction score
This topic always interests me. To be honest I feel that it makes the most sense to purchase a C.F. Burkheimer or R.B. Mieser Spey rod, paying between $800-$900, you know your getting that custom build and wonderfully progressive deep flexing DH rod that throws rising loops for scandi's and launches skagit like a dream. It seems "mainstream" companies like Sage, Loomis and Winston are one step behind them, but still provide a product that gets the job done well. What's a guy to do? I dunno, but one things for sure my burkie's and sage DH put a smile on my face every swing.

eastfly66

Reaction score
"How much did you say.... ?"

"$1750.00...."

" O.K. , Thank you and you have a nice day now ..."

CLICK

eastfly66

Reaction score
Perhaps when the seller sees a reoccurring theme with his conversations or lack of , there will be a price adjustment.

I think they are pushing the limits of the market , there is a limit , even to excessive compulsive behavior.:shocking:

---------- Post added at 05:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 PM ----------

Components hand made?
Out of what ? Gold ?