Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default Re: Micro spey rod question for trout?

Quote Originally Posted by dryfly70 View Post
    Madison, What cheap pvc line did you actually use, I'm Curious ??? Mark
    I got it on amazon, it's called River Peak shooting line. I think they're out of the 20lb (.02") floating. Maybe ebay has some.

Amazon.com: river peak running line shooting line floating 0.02inch 100ft (spring green): Sports & Outdoors

2. Default Re: Micro spey rod question for trout?

Quote Originally Posted by flav View Post
    I've tried to like trout speys, I've built a couple and cast many, but I'm not a big fan. They're good for swinging streamers and soft hackles, but pretty useless for dry fly fishing, and I can do both just as well or better with a SH rod and the right line system. Trout speys are excellent for nymphing, but since I discovered how great lines like the Rio SH spey line are for turning over a heavy nymph setup my trout spey usually stays home in favor of a single hander.
    Can you cast small/medium streamers with the Rio SHS on a 3 or 4 wt? I haven't tried that line specifically but I have tried some cheap 4 wt spey line on my 3wt and it didn't have much power for streamers. It seems to me like you need a line that's reverse tapered for streamers so the heaviest part is out near the tip.

Default Re: Micro spey rod question for trout?

I got into using them because I would practice casting with my steelhead two-handers between the morning and evening hatches. I would always put on a streamer and end up catching a few fish. I finally broke down and bought the 4114. Glad I did because it is good practice, but I am with Flav in that I always use my single hand rods when hatches are coming off or when I am floating with my pontoon. Bottom line is that I love casting two-hand rods.

Madison,
    I've tried the Rio SHS with beadhead buggers on a mono leader up to about size 10, nothing very heavy or big. I've been using the 4 wt line on a 4 wt rod , although I absolutely love that line on a 3 wt but then it's pretty much all dry fly stuff. If I was serious about swinging or stripping streamers, especially if I was using sink tips, I'd go with a different line system. Since I'm usually fishing dries or doing a little light nymphing I really like the longer belly scandi type lines like the SHS.

5. Thanks madison320 thanked for this post
  6. Default Re: Micro spey rod question for trout?

Quote Originally Posted by flav View Post
    I've tried to like trout speys, I've built a couple and cast many, but I'm not a big fan. They're good for swinging streamers and soft hackles, but pretty useless for dry fly fishing, and I can do both just as well or better with a SH rod and the right line system. Trout speys are excellent for nymphing, but since I discovered how great lines like the Rio SH spey line are for turning over a heavy nymph setup my trout spey usually stays home in favor of a single hander.
    So you are saying that a SH rod with a Rio SH spey line can and will do it all including fishing dry flies???

No, I'm not saying that at all. The SHS is the best dry fly line I've ever fished, both water anchored and overhead, it's really nice for nymphing if you're doing water anchored or roll casts but not too great overhead, and if you're into swinging soft hackles or smaller, light streamers it's awesome. Where it falls short is chucking big, heavy streamers, or casting into the teeth of a strong wind, the front taper is just too long and fine. I kind of compare it to the old mid belly I learned to cast with on my spey rod, great to cast for summer dry line work, but when it gets cold or windy I'm going to reach for a skagit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12