Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  11
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: G Loomis IMX Pro Short Spey

I like to use the rio scandi head with versi leaders as a sink tip on the Sage 3wt. but I have the Rio Trout Max skagit and iMOW tips which cast the larger streamers well it is just that the dam head is too short, probably the reason they discontinued it. I think the one I have is only 11 ft. and it makes for a very compact stroke I find uncomfortable....ya know how we say "keep it in the box" ? well, I'm wider than the box so that doesnt work for me with that head. As for trout size range on the 4 or 3 for that matter, out this way come spring there is a lot of stocking and many about 12-14" , I think ryc said it best , there still fun but not much drama and probably equal to a 906 SH. 16" or fish in a good current like when the flow goes up it is a good time, SMB are good game too. I don't find the 12" stockers to be much drama on any rod SH or 2 hander really....when I was swinging the Delaware in NY last season that was another story, even the 12" trout had an attitude and that was a good time.

2. Thanks isaiah20 thanked for this post
    Likes possiebugger liked this post

I've never really given any thoughts about getting a Gloomis rod until I bought the GLX Roaring River 5wt 11ft. Now, I swore that I would never replace it with anything else until I read and read and read some more about the new cool aid called IMX Pro Short Spey. The more I searched about it the itchier I've got.
    So, I caved in an bought a 5111 to replace my trustworthy GLX and put it up for sale.

Now I am trying not to invest more on new lines and hoping that can use the 5111 with the GLX lines which are SA Speylite Integrated 330 Skagit and Steve Godshall 315 intermediate. My standard tips are T-8, T-11 and iMOW Light 5/5 and 7.5/2.5. I am pretty sure 5111 can cast those lighter head+tips but what are you guys using for the tips?

I am thinking about getting the SA 360 integrated intermediate for the 5111 and 360 Scout or Rio Skagit Short if I had to.
    I am highly qualified to comment in this forum after receiving a Specialized High Intensive Training (S.H.I.T) at the Olde Schitt Institute of Technology (O.S.H.I.T).

4. Likes eastfly66 liked this post

Well the biggest trout Iíve caught on it was about 2lbs. Not sure how easy it is to extrapolate but if I should be so lucky to come across a 6lb fish I donít think it would be too much fish for the rod.

A 12ft head is awfully short, especially on an 11+ft rod. I canít cast a 15ft head without blowing my anchor. The rio scandi body I cast I think is 23ft and the skagit max short head is 20ft. And I use 10ft tips on both and with the 11í11Ē rod and it works well for me. As my casting gets better and tighter Iíll give the airflo head another shot. Until then Iíll stick to the longer heads. I am curious about getting a longer scandi head as well.

And this two handed bug is deadly. Told my wife a couple of years ago that I saw myself owning about 10 fly rods. Then I started two handed casting and now it looks like I mightíve been about 8 too low.

I just got my 5111 in yesterday and noticed that the guides are in the smaller sizes especially with the stripping guide and the tip top. When I was in the rod building I wouldn't use that tip top size for any double hand rods.
    I compared them to the Glx and yep, the IMX PRO guides were almost 2 sizes smaller.

So, did you guys have trouble when stripping the head all the way into the guides when fighting fish?

I am no stranger with loop to loop connection stuck on a guide. Happened on almost every trip. Just don't want that to happen more than what the doctor has prescribed to me.

Another thing that I noticed was the cork quality is kinda "economical".... or is it just me?
    I am highly qualified to comment in this forum after receiving a Specialized High Intensive Training (S.H.I.T) at the Olde Schitt Institute of Technology (O.S.H.I.T).

Quote Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
    I just got my 5111 in yesterday and noticed that the guides are in the smaller sizes especially with the stripping guide and the tip top. When I was in the rod building I wouldn't use that tip top size for any double hand rods.
    I compared them to the Glx and yep, the IMX PRO guides were almost 2 sizes smaller.

So, did you guys have trouble when stripping the head all the way into the guides when fighting fish?

I am no stranger with loop to loop connection stuck on a guide. Happened on almost every trip. Just don't want that to happen more than what the doctor has prescribed to me.

Another thing that I noticed was the cork quality is kinda "economical".... or is it just me?
    I can't say I noticed the smaller guides on my #4 but I have not noticed and issues getting hung up with the connections to date. I'm looking at the cork on mine right now and can't see anything but you are probably a better judge of that than me. I can say I don't see much filler , unlike the Recon I have in 909. I'm using the OPST Lazer line and Airflo heads if that helps at all ?

The smaller guides and tip top could a blessing in disguise, it would justify my decision to get another SA Spey Lite integrated 360 intermediate. I really wished that Airflo would go down the full intermediate and integrated shooting head instead of the Frankenstein FIST since I am their fan.

I'm pretty new to the two handed arena but like it. Liked what I was reading about the short spey and bought the Loomis 4111 4 wt, to round out my quiver of a 6 and 7 wt. for bigger stuff. I'm on the Madison and there seems to be plenty of good swing water there. Boat traffic is so crazy I often just leave the boat at the cabin and wade anyway.

Rohr at Emerald Waters fishes this rod and gave me some good input. I bought the SA integrated light spey as I will be swinging streamers and want to be able to strip it right back without hangups. He recommended the 300 gr so that's where I'm starting. I'm in MN so it'll be awhile before the on-water try out!

10. Thanks ryc72 thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12