Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1

    Default G Loomis IMX Pro Short Spey

    Has anyone had the chance to cast one of the new G Loomis IMX Pro short spey rods? I haven't seen grain windows posted on the website, nor have I read any reviews of anyone who tested the rods in the field or at IFTD 2017.

    The 11'11" lengths and lighter line weights for trout spey applications with shorter head lines interests me.

    Anyone have a chance to see or use these yet?

  2. #2

    Default Re: G Loomis IMX Pro Short Spey

    I just watched the video for the Short Spey with Tom Larimer and he also said that there was a short 10'10" 2 and 3 wt. I can not find any info on these rods.

  3. Likes mcnerney liked this post
  4. #3

    Default Re: G Loomis IMX Pro Short Spey

    For the quality of product they produce, Loomis really missed on marketing. If Sage were putting a rod out like this, it would be touted as the single greatest advancement in fly fishing since the company's last single greatest advancement in fly fishing, 1-1.5 years after discontinuing the last model. As much as Sage over-hypes product, Loomis falls on the far other side of allowing a product release to go relatively unnoticed. It's a shame. It's hard to build buzz around a preorder process for the shops who represent the brand when there's no information on a product to preorder. Furthermore, one video by Tom Larimer doesn't cut the sales mustard. The website is awful for information and there is ZERO interactive marketing other than the weak YouTube video similar to the other weak YouTube videos with other products he's represented. His last video on airflo switch and Spey lines fell flat after one YouTube video for each line and not much has been said about the lines since. I believe he also did a short stint with Winston..... crickets again. Some of these companies need to rethink their marketing strategies. Sage destroys the field on this front, and Scott has done well too; however, each product launch Scott has had recently was a juggernaut of product quality and performance, and the marketing has been complimentary, not overstating the product as in some Sage product launches. Either is better than letting a new series roll out and off the face of the earth like loomis and Larimer have with the IMX Pro series. A far different sales model is needed when you are in charge of sales versus on a pro staff or making recommendations as a guide / consultant. Local fly shops who rep loomis have very little info on these rods. Ive inquired with shops out west who sell larger amounts of loomis rods and they've struggled to get a grain window recommendation, which makes no sense since the Pro4x models that the IMX pro offering is replacing had the recommendation right on the blank. What a great idea and then a huge step back to not carry that trend forward. All around a disappointment so far. The ONLY thing that would make me want to buy one is I know Rajeff rods are usually terrific.

    I've wanted to see and hear more on this series because I was very interested in buying one. I haven't seen anything of significance in industry news and marketing since this post was started that would allow me to repost helpful info for others to read, let alone make me want to buy one.

    Maybe loomis needs to bring in the "the two Bob's". From the movie Office Space......to ask some of the sales and marketing folks, "So what is it that you say you do here exactly....?"


    Loomis has a genius rod designer in Steve Rajeff, who arguably could be on a "Fly Fishing Mount Rushmore," but he can't do it himself. This frustration doesn't reside in the design or product quality, as the loomis rods are exceptional. I fail to see the sales and marketing follow up.....
    Last edited by chicagojohn; 09-03-2017 at 08:54 AM.

  5. Likes mcnerney, coolkyle, flafly14 liked this post
  6. #4

    Default Re: G Loomis IMX Pro Short Spey

    bump. I'm considering one of these rods and am looking for more feedback.

    I have a Redington Hydrogen trout spey in a 4 wt. While I like it, I think it fishes like a 7+ weight single hand, at least in the sense it takes a big fish to bend the rod to the cork. For most trout fishing applications, it often feels like too much rod.

    I'd like a trout spey in a lighter weight, and am considering the Loomis Short Spey in the 3 wt. Does anyone know how it would handle a sink tip and/or bigger heavier streamers? Is it primarily better for soft hackle type stuff, or does it still have enough in it to chuck some weight?

  7. #5

    Default Re: G Loomis IMX Pro Short Spey

    I have the 41111 and it is every bit as good maybe even better than my Sage ONE 3110. I also took the single hand 790 & 690 for a test ride at a local show and they are better than many rods costing 2 times as much I have test driven. The short spey IMX Pro is THE best deal out there right now.

  8. Likes possiebugger liked this post
  9. #6

    Default Re: G Loomis IMX Pro Short Spey

    Quote Originally Posted by possiebugger View Post
    bump. I'm considering one of these rods and am looking for more feedback.

    I have a Redington Hydrogen trout spey in a 4 wt. While I like it, I think it fishes like a 7+ weight single hand, at least in the sense it takes a big fish to bend the rod to the cork. For most trout fishing applications, it often feels like too much rod.

    I'd like a trout spey in a lighter weight, and am considering the Loomis Short Spey in the 3 wt. Does anyone know how it would handle a sink tip and/or bigger heavier streamers? Is it primarily better for soft hackle type stuff, or does it still have enough in it to chuck some weight?
    In 2 wt with the trout spey your looking at soft hackles , 3 wt. soft hackles and streamers like a bugger with a bead or other just not crazy like a circus peanut or something.One of the skagit heads will move the weight. 4 wt will do all of these nicely and not be overkill for trout. I'm pretty sure I remember reading the Hydrogen was a tad on the stiffer side ..more 5ish. I routinely throw this on my 3110 & better on 41111:

    video-tying-the-ice-pick-streame.jpg
    Rich Strolis Ice Pick

    There is a post here by fkrow with a review of the IMX Pro SS in #4 ....Since you have the Redington the #3 might be a good fit for you.
    Last edited by eastfly66; 02-26-2019 at 01:20 PM.

  10. Likes mcnerney, possiebugger liked this post
  11. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    new york city
    Posts
    228

    Default Re: G Loomis IMX Pro Short Spey

    i have the 3wt imx pro short spey. typically throw a small double streamer setup with split shot on it. usually size 8-10 buggers, mohair leeches, pine squirrel leeches, zonkers, etc. i havent tossed bigger streamers on it so i dont have any empirical feedback with respect to fly size but it definitely feels like it could throw a considerably larger/heavier fly than what i normally cast (although i couldnt tell you what that limit is). a 16+" fish feels great on the rod...real sporty....nice bend in the rod and a lot of fun. a 12" fish, while still a lot of fun, theres not a whole lot of drama involved. if i were to compare it to a single hand rod in terms of fish fighing id say it feels like its closer to a 6wt than a 5wt. as far as setup is concerned, i have 30lb lazar line to either a 230 grain rio scandi body with a 10ft 55 grain floating tip or a 275 grain rio skagit max short with a 10ft 55 grain 3-4ips tip. get the sense that you could get away with a heavier tip. if your casting is pretty tight, you could probably go with one of the integrated lines from opst or sa with the shorter heads. i tried the skagit scout head but it was too short for me. all of that being said, its a great rod thats a ton of fun to cast and fish.

  12. Likes eastfly66, possiebugger liked this post
  13. #8

    Default Re: G Loomis IMX Pro Short Spey

    Thanks everyone!

  14. #9

    Default Re: G Loomis IMX Pro Short Spey

    Quote Originally Posted by eastfly66 View Post
    In 2 wt with the trout spey your looking at soft hackles , 3 wt. soft hackles and streamers like a bugger with a bead or other just not crazy like a circus peanut or something.One of the skagit heads will move the weight. 4 wt will do all of these nicely and not be overkill for trout. I'm pretty sure I remember reading the Hydrogen was a tad on the stiffer side ..more 5ish. I routinely throw this on my 3110 & better on 41111:

    video-tying-the-ice-pick-streame.jpg
    Rich Strolis Ice Pick

    There is a post here by fkrow with a review of the IMX Pro SS in #4 ....Since you have the Redington the #3 might be a good fit for you.
    Nice! those ice pick streamers look yummy.

    How does your 3wt do with a sink tip?

    and good to hear the 4111 doesn't feel like overkill for trout...what size range of fish would you say is the ideal window for that rod?

  15. #10

    Default Re: G Loomis IMX Pro Short Spey

    Quote Originally Posted by ryc72 View Post
    i have the 3wt imx pro short spey. typically throw a small double streamer setup with split shot on it. usually size 8-10 buggers, mohair leeches, pine squirrel leeches, zonkers, etc. i havent tossed bigger streamers on it so i dont have any empirical feedback with respect to fly size but it definitely feels like it could throw a considerably larger/heavier fly than what i normally cast (although i couldnt tell you what that limit is). a 16+" fish feels great on the rod...real sporty....nice bend in the rod and a lot of fun. a 12" fish, while still a lot of fun, theres not a whole lot of drama involved. if i were to compare it to a single hand rod in terms of fish fighing id say it feels like its closer to a 6wt than a 5wt. as far as setup is concerned, i have 30lb lazar line to either a 230 grain rio scandi body with a 10ft 55 grain floating tip or a 275 grain rio skagit max short with a 10ft 55 grain 3-4ips tip. get the sense that you could get away with a heavier tip. if your casting is pretty tight, you could probably go with one of the integrated lines from opst or sa with the shorter heads. i tried the skagit scout head but it was too short for me. all of that being said, its a great rod thats a ton of fun to cast and fish.
    Now that I think about it, this is the size flies/streamers I'd use most frequently with a trout spey setup.

    Rather than heavy streamers, I prefer unweighted/lightly weighted streamers with a sink tip, at least for spey.

    With your 3wt, do you ever feel like it's not enough rod for trout fishing? whether it be not enough for a fish, or not enough for a certain size streamer/sink tip configuration.

    I like your assessment about the ideal size fish. I feel about that way with my 4wt Hydrogen, except add a couple inches...18+ is a fun fight, 16 if it's a strong fish and/or big water, much less than that and you're pretty much horsing them in even if you don't mean to.

    I also should experiment with some other lines. I have the Rio Skagit Trout head, which is only like 12 feet long. Yesterday I added a 6' sink tip to the front of a 10' floating tip, and if anything, the rig may have actually cast better with enough line to actually create a D loop with an anchor.

    But yeah, think I've got the two-handed bug!

    I think it was Ed Ward who said, "there are four stages of fishing: first, you're just happy to catch any fish. Then you wanna catch big fish, then you wanna catch challenging fish. Then you wanna do it all over again, but with a two-handed rod..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. WTB-Loomis Short stix 7/8
    By eastfly66 in forum Fishing Rods & Outfits Classifieds
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-16-2017, 06:36 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-17-2017, 02:52 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-06-2017, 10:20 PM
  4. line for loomis short stix
    By bp8777 in forum Fly Lines
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-12-2017, 07:14 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-12-2012, 03:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •