Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Echo Glass Switch 3wt

Hi guys,

I am looking at buying this rod and wondering what people think it should be lined with. I know that these rods have a very wide grain window. I was thinking for throwing streamers I would use a Spey Lite Skagit 210. After that I am at a complete loss on what to use for nymphing with it. I was thinking a line with a long belly that I could mend. Maybe even a Switch Chucker in a 2 wt.

I had a Redington Hydrogen 2wt. That was lined with a 225 OPST. I hated the loop to loop connection.

Default Re: Echo Glass Switch 3wt

I own the Echo Glass 3wt rod and have a full set of RIO Switch Chucker lines.
    However, I have not tested the SC 2wt line at this time.

The SC 2wt should work at 225gr but may be a little heavy for the Glass 3wt rod.
    To compensate you may wish to pull back the 25ft head into the tip top about 5ft to lighten up the rod loading.

My preferred lines on the Echo Glass 3wt are the RIO Trout LT in WF6 and WF5, again not extending the total head outside the rod tip.

These lines will spey cast and two handed over head cast nicely.

Regards,
    FK

I owned the Echo Glass 3wt and fished it as my primary trout spey for the better part of 3 years. Started out with the Airflo Switch Float 3.5, then moved on to the OPST 175 gr as I got better at spey casting and managing running line. I started playing with the Airflo Skagit Scout 240gr (my favorite to date) right before I sold it. My advice would be either learn to like the loop to loop connections, or have Steve Godshall build you a custom integrated line as the mass produced integrated lines have running lines that are too heavy/slow for such light weight rods. I also tried nymphing with the rod but gave up on that idea as the rod has too much flex. It's a sweet stick though!

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Quote Originally Posted by isaiah20 View Post
    Hi guys,

I am looking at buying this rod and wondering what people think it should be lined with. I know that these rods have a very wide grain window. I was thinking for throwing streamers I would use a Spey Lite Skagit 210. After that I am at a complete loss on what to use for nymphing with it. I was thinking a line with a long belly that I could mend. Maybe even a Switch Chucker in a 2 wt.

I had a Redington Hydrogen 2wt. That was lined with a 225 OPST. I hated the loop to loop connection.
    This is a great low water Summer Run Steelhead rod. If you want to properly line any 2hander have Steve Godshall build you one.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"