Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Budget Nymphing Rod for OPST Commando Heads??

1. Default Re: Budget Nymphing Rod for OPST Commando Heads??

I have just purchased a 10' 3wt. Sage Pulse that I plan on using for a single-handed spey rod and alson for the Euro nymphing. It is a fast taper rod without a tip flex. I have a Rio 3wt. Single Handed fly line on order for it now. It has a great grip like most of the newer Sage rods have now and been thinking about building a butt grip for it so I can use it as a switch rod set-up. Not sure about an OPST head for it, haven't got that far with it yet. For $450 I'm hoping I can do quite a few jobs with it. Has anyone tried this rod for any of these jobs. Barry

2. Default Re: Budget Nymphing Rod for OPST Commando Heads??

Whatever line you use in Euronymphing will not matter much as you will be using a very long leader and fishing in close. The fast action low tip flex is perfect for setting the hook quickly in that mode.

Your Sage is usable, nut not perfect for Skagit casting with the OPST Commando heads. That line and casting style requires slowed down movements to efficiently transfer energy smoothly w/o any stop action. Moderate to slow rods do this best for most of us. Expert casters can make the timing adjustment with fast action, stiff, rods but the learning curve is steep and somewhat risky if you are not good at ducking.

Before adding a fighting butt, I would check with Sage to see if this voids their warranty.

ddb

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123