Sage Accel Switch rod Question

spfd jason

Reaction score
Hey,

Is anyone using one of these Accel switch rods? If so, what are your impressions.

Pondering the 8114-4 for use on PNW coastal rivers in the winter. Heavy tips and flies. What weight Skagit head are you using for this model?

Thanks,

Jason

hvenegaard

Reaction score
Hi Jason
I recently bought the 12`6 7 weight Accel. I find it light in hand (swing weight wise) and demanding a relaxed and laid back casting style. The guys in the shop didn´t agree on the line weight for the rod. Suggestions were (for a shooting head) 370 grains and 416 grains (I live in Denmark so this is converted from grams - If I messed up on the convertion it was 24 grams and 27 grams (I ended up buying the 28 gram shooting head)). I testcasted both weights. 370 grains felt very nice on this rod and I would not hesitate to recommend it. 416 grains no problem, and still I felt lots of reserve power in the butt section. Now, where I fish wind is a factor to be reconned with so when buying the line for it and they didn´t have a 416 grains line, I didnt have any problems on deciding on buying a 432 grain shooting head. So seek advice when you visit the shop and take it from there. Good luck, Hvenegaard

spfd jason

Reaction score
Purchased the 8114-4. Local shop had it on clearance. Going to start with a 510 Skagit Switch. Just need some water in the river!