Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
  1. Default Switch rod for bass. Northern. Light muskie

What weight echo glass switch for this ?

2. Default Re: Switch rod for bass. Northern. Light muskie

That would depend upon the size of fly you want to use. For bass I would recommend either a 5 or 6 weight switch. Northern pike you could use 6 or 7 weight switch. Muskies I would recommend at least a 7 if not an 8 weight switch. If you are fishing from a boat, a switch rod may not be the best rod for muskies since you will be doing figure eights next to the boat.
    Mike P.

3. Likes Ard liked this post

Default Re: Switch rod for bass. Northern. Light muskie

Once again, it depends. If you're talking about a drift boat and a fairly shallow river you would be absolutely correct. However, if fishing from a jon boat or a bass boat with a raised platform and slightly deeper water you'd be fine. One thing the musky gear guys are doing is moving up in rod length. When I did a lot of it back in the '70s most of the rods we 6' and I actually had one that was 7' and was almost unheard of amongst the serious musky guys. Now the standard is 8 1/2' and many guys, including me, now have at least one rod that exceeds 9'. St. Croix is coming out with a 10 1/2' musky gear rod. In other words, it's all relative. The biggest problem with the switch rod for muskies is that 90% of them are way too soft. You really are better off with a surf/beach double-handed rod or one of the few really beefy switch rods out there (Sage TCX and Method come to mind.). Occasionally I use a 11' Beulah double-handed surf rod in 9/10 weight for muskies.. It throws 550gr real nicely. It's just not easy finding a 550gr line that's also a good musky line. The best was the old SA Wet Tip Express in 550gr. That was discontinued a couple of years ago so it's back to being an issue. Also, length of fly isn't as big a deal as the materials used. As I pointed out in another thread earlier today a 12" fly that's all synthetic can often be cast with an 8 weight. However, a 10" fly that's almost all natural materials takes a good, strong ten weight at the very least, and many guys are now using 11 and 12 weight single-handers.

5. Likes Bigfly, Ard liked this post

No one has yet said it but you may be asking too much of any fiberglass switch rod.

The musky application in particular imposes lots of difficulties in rod stiffness, ability to cast big flies all day w/o tiring, and close in fish management where lots of musky action takes place. Shorter stiffer graphite rods do all those tasks much more efficiently.

The fiberglass switch rods might work OK for bass and pike and if that is an itch you want to scratch fine. But I see no intrinsic advantage in that choice except you could use the same rod for steelhead etc.

ddb

I've only tried it three or four times from a boat. I purchased the switch rod for this purpose and so far I have far from worked through the challenges. The casting was fine. The stripping not so much. I found it awkward with an 11ft rod + a sinking leader. Couldn't effectively strip back nearly as close to the boat as I desired. Ended up stripping the flyline loop at least to the rod tip and the fly is still almost 15 ft from the boat. Not close enough and not where you want to be for the next cast. I haven't given up but not what I was hoping for so far. I was in a walleye style boat with an elevated casting platform. That didn't really come close to solving it.

Quote Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
    I've only tried it three or four times from a boat. I purchased the switch rod for this purpose and so far I have far from worked through the challenges. The casting was fine. The stripping not so much. I found it awkward with an 11ft rod + a sinking leader. Couldn't effectively strip back nearly as close to the boat as I desired. Ended up stripping the flyline loop at least to the rod tip and the fly is still almost 15 ft from the boat. Not close enough and not where you want to be for the next cast. I haven't given up but not what I was hoping for so far. I was in a walleye style boat with an elevated casting platform. That didn't really come close to solving it.
    If I'm reading this right, it means you have a 15' leader? For one thing there is no way to perform a figure eight with that much leader out. You need to get the fly within about 12-18" of the rod tip to do an effective figure eight. Forget the sinking leader, which probably means a poly leader or a bit of T14 or the like. Get rid of it. Have about 3' or mono and about 18" of multi-strand wire (or FC if you insist) and strip right up to the connection between the two. To get the fly down, use a flyline with at least an intermediate tip and depending upon how deep your water is you may need something with even more sink.

Quote Originally Posted by jr spey View Post
    If I'm reading this right, it means you have a 15' leader?
    No, it means I have an 11ft rod, hands a foot from my body, and the fly a few feet from the rod tip. And yes a short leader made from T14 or similar. I don't care much for sinking lines much when lake fishing later in the season. Easier to adjust my leader and not own a number of fly lines. I don't get to fly fish for pike or musky often enough to justify much more gear. I do have one sinking tip line but it really sinks fast, and it's for my single hand rod..