Oops! I bought a switch rod!

steveid

Reaction score
Just picked up a Sage Z-Axis #8 11’. Never fished a switch or Spey rod. I intend to use it for Idaho steelhead at some point. No idea which direction to go now with lines, reel, etc. Anybody used this rod or have a setup recommendation?

flav

Reaction score
By Idaho steelhead do you mean swinging for fall fish on the Clearwater or Salmon, or nymphing for late winter fish? What line system you choose really depends on how you intend on fishing.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Steve,

I don't have that particular Sage but I do have some Hardy Swift rods in 11 1/2 foot 7 weights. I use them for medium size water and fish up to 15 pounds and like them. For lines I use full Spey lines meaning they have integrated vinyl running line and are 120 feet long. The heads are 37 foot and they work great, for an 11 foot rod you might want to look for a 30 or 32 foot head length.

JoJer

Reaction score
I just had to have a spey rod. I put the outfit together and a friend loaned me Galsworthy's (SP?) video and book. He told me when I borrowed the stuff that he'd sold off his two hander cause there wasn't much water in Idaho big enough to require the long rod. That may be so, but I can still find room to get out and have a good time with it. A switch might be a better choice for here.

Bigfly

Reaction score
There are a few rivers in ID. that will fish well with spey/switch.
The South fork comes to mind.....especially below the confluence with the Henry's.
We generally think our river here is too small for the big stick. It's about the same size as the Boise...at times..
But, a friend got a new line for his rod.
He took it to the confluence of the T for a test drive, and made one drift with a craft fur skulpin....
Scored a 29" Brown..........would rather not have that fish on a little stick.......
Not that many folks thinking along these lines.......show them what for........

Ten years ago, I was alone with a big stick on the on the Big T.
Somebody has to go first.....I did it to prep for Steelhead on the Trinity...casting practice...who knew it would work?
Now days...many are weilding a longer stick.....
A greater reach, potentially means a better mend, a better mend potentially means a better drift....and I'm convinced, a better drift means more fish.

Jim

Last edited:

steveid

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, all. I think the plan is to swing flies, but we may indicator fish based on what my buddy has said. He’s the one who got me into this!

Right now I’m leaning towards Rio InTouch Switch Chucker.

What size reel would you all suggest? Should I go up to a 9-10 reel? Rod should be in my office tomorrow.

flytie09

Reaction score
I'd look at the Commando series of lines from OPST. You can roll cast Indy rigs all day or toss the beefy intruders if you're so inclined. Rio and SA make single hand Skagit lines for this purpose also.

I've tried the switch series of lines by Orvis and I struggled tossing larger nymphs, intruders or zonkers. It was an ok transitional line for me..., but I've since moved on.

As far as reel..... I'd look at a 9/10 because Skagit or even Scandi lines eat up a lot of space on a reel. It makes you be creative with Using gel spun backing to gain some space otherwise.

ft09

Last edited: