Echo Dec Hogan 2 6.5 wt

floorabove

Reaction score
Anybody have experince with this rod. I picked one up, but not sure what to line it with or what situations it is appropriate for.

flav

Reaction score
I cast one last year with either a 450 or 480 grain compact scandi (can't remember which) with a floating poly leader, and it cast very nicely. Very relaxed, deep loading rod, and perfect for swinging for summer steelhead in the 5 to 10 lb range. I would have liked to have cast with both a skagit and a mid belly line, I bet it would have cast them well also.

fireroad

Reaction score
I recently picked up this rod as a companion to my DH2 7 wt. The 6.5 is an awesome skagit rod for steelhead, super smooth and flexes deep and lots of low end power. Compared to the 7wt wt version I found it a little lighter in hand (and lighter swing weight), a little quicker recovering and and overall a more "lively" rod then the 7. I would characterize it as a heavy 6/light 7, where as my 7 is darn near an 8wt. I went with Echo's recommendation of the Airflo compact skagit 510 and it just sings on this rod with T7 and T10 FLO tips. With the T14 FLO tips the rod was not as forgiving of my timing errors, but when I did my part it cast no problem.