7 Weight Switch Rod Reel

Hoosier93

Reaction score
Well I'm on my way back from my trip to Washington state, currently somewhere in Kansas. I'll write up a full trip report once I'm home and get some of my brothers pictures to upload (he's an amateur photographer with some awesome gear).

In the meantime, while out there I picked up a marked down St. Croix 7# 11' Imperial switch rod. Now that I have it I've been trying to decide what reel to pick up to put on it, I'm leaning toward the Orvis Battenkill disc drag as its in my price point and has good reviews but am open to suggestions. I intend on using this rod to get into steelhead fishing up in Michigan and maybe big trout down in the Cumberland river.
One thing I'm not sure about on the Battenkill is whether the size "Spey IV" or "Spey V" would be a better fit for my rod?

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Hoosier93

Reaction score
That's where I'm having trouble, i know the norm is two sizes over the rod weight for the reel but the "Spey IV" says it's a 7/8/9 and the "Spey V" size says it's for a 8/9/10. Hoping somebody had experience with these paticular reel just because I'm scared the "Spey V" will be too large a cumbersome on my 7 weight.
Spey lines (most) are long and BIG so get the largest reel appropriate for the rod.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
What I can tell you based on reels I use is that a Sage Domain #8 will hold a 475 grain Beulah Elixir full Spey line with room to spare. I did use Gel Spun backing to cut down on bulk. They are a full frame reel with an excellent drag system. Other reels I use with the same line ranges are: Hardy Cascapedia Mk. II - Hardy Taupo wide spool. Your best bet on any brand is to go large. You'll never notice the extra ounce or 2 and will quickly get used to a big reel.

flytie09

Reaction score
Let's look at the backing capacity chart for these reels:

Check and Pawl:

Battenkill IV 7-9 30-lb & WF7: 225 yds.
30-lb & WF8: 200 yds.
30-lb & WF9: 175 yds. 3.75" 8.5 oz

Battenkill V 9-11 30-lb & WF9: 225 yds.
30-lb & WF10: 200 yds.
30-lb & WF11: 175 yds. 4" 9.5 oz

Disc Drag:

Battenkill Disc IV Spey for line weights 7-9, 8.9 oz., 3¾" diameter
Battenkill Disc V Spey for line weights 9-11, 9.9 oz., 4" diameter

I'd personally go with the Battenkill V in either. There is 1 ounce difference and it's 1/4" larger. You will not notice the difference in either dimension. But honestly both will work. I personally hate when I have no space left on my spool and will opt for the larger reel.

What kind of line are you proposing to use? Skagit, Scandi, full spey? All will eat up reel capacity.
Skagits more so than Scandis.

You can make the IV work by using Gel spun backing and mono running line if capacity becomes an issue. I don't care for using mono running lines or Gel-spun unless I have to.

I hope this helps.

ft09

Hoosier93

Reaction score
Thank you very much for this info! I'm still trying to wrap my head around all the options available for spey casting and am way down at the bottom of the learning curve still.
Let's look at the backing capacity chart for these reels:

Check and Pawl:

Battenkill IV7-930-lb & WF7: 225 yds.
30-lb & WF8: 200 yds.
30-lb & WF9: 175 yds.3.75"8.5 oz

Battenkill V9-1130-lb & WF9: 225 yds.
30-lb & WF10: 200 yds.
30-lb & WF11: 175 yds.4"9.5 oz

Disc Drag:

Battenkill Disc IV Spey for line weights 7-9, 8.9 oz., 3¾" diameter
Battenkill Disc V Spey for line weights 9-11, 9.9 oz., 4" diameter

I'd personally go with the Battenkill V in either. There is 1 ounce difference and it's 1/4" larger. You will not notice the difference in either dimension. But honestly both will work. I personally hate when I have no space left on my spool and will opt for the larger reel.

What kind of line are you proposing to use? Skagit, Scandi, full spey? All will eat up reel capacity.
Skagits more so than Scandis.

You can make the IV work by using Gel spun backing and mono running line if capacity becomes an issue. I don't care for using mono running lines or Gel-spun unless I have to.

I hope this helps.

ft09

Hoosier93

Reaction score
Again I'm also open to other options if there are better reals in this price point ($200 or less), the battenkill just seemed to be the best out of what I've been able to find looking around online and reading reviews.

Thanks

flytie09

Reaction score
Thank you very much for this info! I'm still trying to wrap my head around all the options available for spey casting and am way down at the bottom of the learning curve still.

Don't worry....you're not alone. You always start with your fly selection first and work your way back from there. Do you plan to use primarily unweighted hairwings, smaller nymphs and streamers? Then a Scandi might be the ticket.

Do you plan on chucking small chickens and hairballs like Intruders and streamers/nymphs with heavy weight, beads or cone heads?...then a Skagit line might be a better choice. Skagits will cast lighter flies too just not gracefully...but the reverse isn't true with Scandis.

Just some things to consider.

Do you want a reel with a traditional check and pawl drag or a disc drag? This will help narrow your search. There are some good options out there in either flavor in sub $200 range.

Hoosier93

Reaction score
Don't worry....you're not alone. You always start with your fly selection first and work your way back from there. Do you plan to use primarily unweighted hairwings, smaller nymphs and streamers? Then a Scandi might be the ticket.

Do you plan on chucking small chickens and hairballs like Intruders and streamers/nymphs with heavy weight, beads or cone heads?...then a Skagit line might be a better choice. Skagits will cast lighter flies too just not gracefully...but the reverse isn't true with Scandis.

Just some things to consider.

Do you want a reel with a traditional check and pawl drag or a disc drag? This will help narrow your search. There are some good options out there in either flavor in sub $200 range.
I was leaning more toward the disc drag as I was thinking it'd be less to think about while learning to fish for steelhead, not sure if I'm thinking off track or not.

Was thinking I'd buy a spare spool, set up one spool with Skagit for swinging big streamers and setting up another spool for dead drifting nymphs.

flav

Reaction score
I've handled both the IV and V Battenkill disc speys, they hold a huge amount of line. The IV spey will hold any 7 weight spey line and more backing than you'll ever need. Nice reel.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
As the application appears to be for a spey rod a disk drag (for the most part) may not be needed. Save for 'over run' when I'm pulling off line its been years since I've seen my backing.

Hooked a King Salmon; there I had to run down the beach chasing this fellow (lost him - PING!! as the leader gave up).

All the guides on a 2hander add a heck of a lot of 'drag' so take this into account as you set up your reel. :boxing:

fae

dpt

Reaction score
Hoosier, sent you a PM about a line recommendation for this rod.

David

claybanks

Reaction score
I used a Battenkill IV for a few seasons. Not the disk version but the clicker. Caught a number of steelhead, silvers, and kings on it. I have an old SA reel at the moment but think I might aquire another Battenkill at some point because I really liked it.

I fished it on a switch rod, 8wt mostly, and also a 7wt spey occasionally. I remember putting 250 yards of 30lb backing and then having to take maybe 40 or 50 yards off to fit the running line and a Skagit head with a little room left over.

For Lake Michigan tributaries, that amount of backing is sufficient.

I'm not sure if Orvis sells spare spools for the disk version. I don't think they do for the pawl version. The pawl system is pretty effective for steelhead fishing. It has advantages and lots of people do use them.

Last edited: