T&T DNA Spey, my first long rod

steveid

Reaction score
I just purchased an excellent condition Thomas and Thomas DNA in 13’ 7 weight. I own a switch rod that I’ve never used, and this wi be my first Spey. Seller included a Rio Skagit Max 525 grains. I’m looking forward to learning on this rod, and hopefully getting after some PNW Salmon and Steelhead.

Any recommendation on finishing it off? I was thinking about picking up a clearance Sagan Domain reel, the Rio metered running line, and some MOW tips.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Across the board spey lines, at least the full on one's, are HUGE and suck up a lot of space. Which is why most, if not all, of us have gone to 'head systems.' Running line is the same regardless of what's on the front end. (Well almost true.)

Heads can be as short as 5' to (I've seen) 45.

duker

Reaction score
Congrats on your first spey rod. I think a 13' 7 weight is a great all-rounder for PNW salmon and steelhead.

Whatever reel you pick make sure you've got room for 100-150 yards of backing (I use 30 lb dacron), your running line, head, sink tip, and leader. Lots of spey guys like old timey click and pawl reels, others prefer disc drags to get the fish to the bank as quickly as possible. I currently use the "regular" Rio running line (the PowerFlex) and it's fine--I bought it on sale. I'm not fussy about my brand of running line except that I do not like mono.

I use MOW tips on my Skagit heads and think they are a good way to go. You'll eventually want to get the full set for various types of water, but you can start with a 2-1/2' sink/7-1/2' float, 5' sink/5' float, and full 10' sink. Regular 10' and 15' sink tips of various densities also work, or you can build your own from lengths of T material. Do a search of the forum for threads on sink tips and you'll find lots of useful stuff.

Hope you get out with that new rod soon. Let us know how you make out.

Scott

dillon

Reaction score
If you are fishing steelhead in the PNW one should have a floating line set up for summer and fall run fish, imo. A floating tip could be used with a skagit head, as suggested above. However, a Scandi head with a long nylon leader is a more popular preference. Personally, I like mid and long bellied lines.

steveid

Reaction score
Great info Duker and Dillon. I will pick up a Scandi head as well.

It’s not always clear how Skagit and Scandi rigs get rigged.

I assume Skagit heads get the MOW tip and then a leader, and Scandi heads just take the leader.

Last edited:

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Great infinity Duker and Dillon. I will pick up a Scandi head as well.

It’s not always clear how Skagit and Scandi rigs get rigged.

I assume Skagit heads get the MOW tip and then a leader, and Scandi heads just take the leader.
With a grain of salt here::pop2:

Skagit's are short, sweet, heavy and to the point for chucking heavier/larger flies. 'Scandies' are more of a 'presentation' line for softer/smoother runs and smaller sized flies.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

dillon

Reaction score
With a grain of salt here::pop2:

Skagit's are short, sweet, heavy and to the point for chucking heavier/larger flies. 'Scandies' are more of a 'presentation' line for softer/smoother runs and smaller sized flies.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Good point, Fred. The latter is; Just how I like it...

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
T and T are nice rods I also fish a 13’ 7wt different brand of course but my favorite line is a 7wt Rio Scandi versi tip. Not the compact. It’s a little spendy but worth it. With smaller salmon flies it works every bit as good as a skagit if not better if you’re going the distance. Don’t let the Scandinavian name fool you it casts good size tubes and classics.

Comes with four tips and the dry line tip is amazing. Got plenty deep for salmon on the intermediate tip swinging long on 100 to 140’ casts.

I also fish a full skagit for heavy large flies and weighted intruders bottle tubes.

My commando rig works for smaller rivers but I just use my switch these days.

Rio scandi is my favorite line, I could fish my Steelhead rivers but the d loop is just too big, it’s in the woods. It’s tiring setting up every cast.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
My excuse for not posting is I had fishing when this thread came up and then I spent almost 2 weeks out at the cabin...….. Sorry Steveid

I have a couple of the Domain reels, if you bought one I'm sure you'll like it.

I also agree on a Scandi Long or Mid Spey for low water dry line type fishing where you don't need to be dredging bottom.

Congrats on the new riggings and sorry for being so late in the discussion.