Fished my Hardy Marksman 2-T on 2/6/18

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
You know, ever since I started using Sage rods about 4 seasons ago I've left my Marksman 2 eight weight sit. Couple days ago I spooled up one of Steve Godshall's 600 grain Super Scandi lines onto my hardy Uniqua 10/11 reel. It's a big reel but it's light considering the size, I did that so I've have a matched set of Hardy tackle...…….

The bottom line is that the rod works really well with the Scandi line. My longest cast was perhaps 80 foot or there about and wouldn't you know that I caught a fish on that one. I somehow pitched a long tight loop all the way across and under a leaning tree where it would swing right out into a nice seam then across a deep bucket in the river bottom

The fish was I believe, another steelhead, maybe an inch shorter then the last but much heavier. I'm guesstimating it 26 inches in length and 5 1/2 pounds maybe 6 because it was well fed.

If ever you come across one of the 13 foot eight weight Marksman 2 rods try a 575 to 600 grain Scandi on it, I swear it's a treat. You can still have bad anchor placements and casts that don't pan out but when you're grooving the casts they really fly out pretty.

These rods are nicely done & cast well also. I took these pictures when I did a review years ago.

I only got one snapshot of todays fish and haven't uploaded yet, I got 2 small trout and 3 salmon too but the steelie was what I was hunting. One of these days I expect something larger but I'm right close to 30 with these and not complaining.

dennyk

Reaction score
It's fun to break out the older stuff once in a while. It's kinda like what I enjoy doing with my old Fenwicks. Sometimes they surprise you! :thumb:

Denny

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Denny,

I've had time to sleep on the experience and this morning I feel that I'll finish out the season with it. I fish a lot of places where I'm casting with 'river right', I think that means the current is coming at my left side and flowing downstream to my right. The rod shafts have a lot of power that can really be loaded up then unloaded into one heck of a long cast. I'm not sure if I could hit 100 feet with it but 80 gets the fly all the way to the far bank in most spots.

After you work the short water when you first start on a run you are throwing all the way across. Sure there's always those areas that were missed as you kept lengthening the casts but if you keep your feet planted they are small spots. Once you have swings that start on the far bank and end right below where you're standing you can slip down through a section of river or creek and not miss much water.

Maybe I got that much better at casting over the 4 years, that's probably it and now I can make the rod work. It's also the first time I used one of these Super Scandi lines on it and that could be helping. I think I have 3 of them, all 600 grain lines because I stay in the 8 weight rod range. The 8 weight rods in 13 and 14 foot lengths will handle anything that bites and I like that. When the day comes that I bust through the 30" ceiling on my home river I'll be using the right rod whatever brand :)

Right now I'm stuck in the mid to high twenties but they're getting heavier.

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Great post Ard.Funny, the other day I hesitated to fish my 1988 Launstorfer 9'2 5wt which has been sleeping in my garage for years....maybe next time.A bit of nostalgia perhaps?

dennyk

Reaction score
Hi Ard!

Spey/Scandy are all foreign to me, I'm a single handed rod guy. I always start close and work my way out fishing with the same current direction as you. With my hand issues using my Scott A4, after a dozen or so casts my casting hand would start to go numb. I recently traded my A4 in on a Scott Meridian, I never thought I could appreciate the difference between a mid range rod verses a high end rod. Well I'm glad I did it and it's worth every penny. NO hand issues with the Meridian and 60++ foot casts-all day long, especially with my spot and stalk Carp fishing where long accurate casts are required.

Both 8wt-9'.

Saying all that, getting a jewel now and again is priceless! :)

Denny

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
What's up with your hand? I probably missed a post centered on this or maybe not...…..… I have to admit that I like the (what are called) high end rods too. Back in the day when this Marksman series came out they were it. I think they made another rod in the same price range but I forget what it was. Considering the price of the Sage X 14 foot the Marksman was a bargain.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Great post Ard.Funny, the other day I hesitated to fish my 1988 Launstorfer 9'2 5wt which has been sleeping in my garage for years....maybe next time.A bit of nostalgia perhaps?
Hey JP!

You'll probably really like it, it will be like getting a new rod.

And Denny,

A Super Scandi is very similar to your weight forward lines. They have a relatively short front taper and a 45 foot belly fused into vinyl coated running / shooting line. I like the 600 grain because they will carry some pretty large fly patterns out there.

dennyk

Reaction score
What's up with your hand? I probably missed a post centered on this or maybe not...…..… I have to admit that I like the (what are called) high end rods too. Back in the day when this Marksman series came out they were it. I think they made another rod in the same price range but I forget what it was. Considering the price of the Sage X 14 foot the Marksman was a bargain.
It's Rheumatoid arthritis in my hands and other areas as well. So far treatments are going OK. Funny, when I'm fishing it's bothersome---but I don't notice it! :)

Denny

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Congratulations on a fine day and steelhead.

I’d love to try that rod. As much as I like my modern Sage’s switch and 13’ spey, I cast an older heavier Z-axis in 13’ 4” with a sink tipped scandi and just loved it.

Also cast a few 14 and 15’ older spey rods 900-1100 grain lines. Fall favorites and winter authorities. If I had big rivers and salmon that would be the ticket.

Sure the older rods are a bit heavier but still useful tools. On a big river a guy has time to relax between swings.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Steve,

Those Marksman rods are only around six years old when they were replaced by I'm not sure what model. They are light and well finished with plugs and the works. They even have the butt band reminiscent of the old rods which had the nickle silver butt strap and caps.

They seem stiff when compared to say a Sage One or X but once you get the correct line match in head length and grains on them that stiffness translates into power.

This is a 1982 Salmon Fly 13'9" Graphite butt strap & cap

Now that's a heavy rod at around 14 ounces, add a 4 1/4 Perfect and an 850 grain line and you know its there buddy.