Sage One Trout Spey - which Reel?

kickingk

Reaction score
Hi
My first post here, I’m based in the UK and do use the sister forums.
Due to a rotator cuff injury I haven’t been able to cast a single handed rod for over a year, however just had surgery to repair it so let’s see.
The bulk of my fishing is Spey casting for salmon, but been looking at trout Spey for the last couple of months, it will hopefully keep my casting in tune when there is no Salmon about but will also let me catch some trout with the shoulder injury.
I’ve bought the Sage One #2 Trout Spey, which is a lovely bit of kit, but just wondering what Reel size you guys use to balance the rod out, I’m thinking of a Loop Opti Dry Fly which is a 5/6 line. But looking for options, I’ve never seen anybody on our rivers using a trout Spey, so hoping you guys can advise
Thanks
Karl

ryc72

Reaction score
Just my personal experience and preference but I’d rather have the reel be biased heavier than lighter. If you are throwing skagits and sink tips once the line is out and swinging tight you already have something that is pulling on the tip. I find it more relaxing to hold the handle with a heavier reel than a lighter one to offset that pull and weight of the swing. I’m not sure if the same would be said with a Scandi setup.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Very nice rig sir I’m a Sage fan myself.

I prefer a balanced while casting approach and just balanced in hand approach without line out. I don’t mind if the tip drags down a bit on the swing because my method of swinging I don’t really want slack and I fish mono running line.

Best way is to decide what you like and put a reel on the rod.

Newer Sage rods are light and lean towards a lighter reel if you like what I described.

I’ve been dealing with a reel too heavy and I unconsciously move my forward hand to the balanced spot up the grip.

It’s annoying the hell out of me, got to fix it.

eastfly66

Reaction score
I have the One 3110 and was using the Allen Kraken 3 which felt fine but I down sized to a black Kraken 2 which I think fits a little nicer.
The Kraken series are a little wider than most other reels and gives the room for skagit heads....that on top of being a company that you know has your back if something goes wrong.

kickingk

Reaction score
I have the One 3110 and was using the Allen Kraken 3 which felt fine but I down sized to a black Kraken 2 which I think fits a little nicer.
The Kraken series are a little wider than most other reels and gives the room for skagit heads....that on top of being a company that you know has your back if something goes wrong.
That's great to hear, I've been looking at the Allen reels for a while but unfortunately there's nowhere over here to get them from or see them, decided yesterday to take the plunge and opted for the Kraken 2 in Dorado, nice and blingy, we don't get too much sunshine over here, but I will need my shades just to look at that reel, cant wait to get it:)

eastfly66

Reaction score
I think your going to really enjoy the rig or kit as you fellas call it :) Nice set up for swinging soft hackles , the Rio SHS might be to your liking for a line. I have a #5 for the 3 weight. Little pricey but nice line , Mike Barrio might have a comparable SLX.

huronfly

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of click and pawl reels, I would be looking into some of Speyco's trout spey models or Hardy if it is within your budget. I also err towards heavier reels when swinging flies, keeps the tip from dipping on the swing.