Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  17
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Which rod to make into single handed Switch

Flav, not sure how you get a better lever with a short stick....
    But I can see not using a big stick in the tight woods.
    The OPST set up might be nice, in tight spaces.

Jim
    Last edited by Bigfly; 01-17-2019 at 05:09 PM.
    The bar isn't set by the fish we catch, but by the one's we don't.

Bigfly

2. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Sounds like your fishing Lake O tribs. Never tried either rod but the OPST setup will work nicely, I also have a wulff ambush 8wt head that works good for swinging smaller huron tribs so that's another option, but I still think OPST is best for tight streams.
    Danny

4. Likes mcnerney liked this post

I really like the Wulff ambush heads for throwing sink tips and on a single hand rod you also have the ability to haul when Spey casting. They are easy to use on an overhead cast as a shooting head, although they do land with splash. I couldn’t say which rod would be best, I think that depends on your casting style or preference.

6. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by flav View Post
    I think you've got the right idea, a 9 foot 8 weight and a SH Skagit head if you're going to swing on GL tribs. I love my 2 handers, but after a day on a smaller GL trib this fall I was wishing I had brought a 9 foot 8 weight instead of an 11 foot 6 weight. The shorter rod is so much easier in those confined spaces, the short head keeps your D loop out of the bushes, and the shorter rod gives you more leverage against big fish headed towards snags. A Skagit isn't a distance line, that's what longer bellies are for, they're designed to deliver a heavy payload with very little effort in limited casting room. That's exactly what you want on those smaller GL tribs where the fish will likely be holding in a 3 foot deep slot that's the size of a bathtub along the far bank maybe 30 feet away.
    I don't know which of your rods will be the better one for this, I'd try them both, but whichever one has the slower action will most likely be the better Skagit rod. You might feel differently, though, the only way to know is to compare them.
    Perfect...you understand my fishing grounds...I'm thinking from the revealed chart that a skagit head up to 300 gr will do..I can single hand cast most of it but there are stretches of river that require skagit or spey casts.....so much research bet have a few months...almost very warm winter here.....
    Life is too short to not own at least one piece of Hardy fly fishing gear

8. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Ok you all are starting to give me some good advice for my situation....yes GL tribs.....some of the creeks and the Ganaraska River...none large but hold large fish...Most spots give no back cast although I have caught some. Will try to figure out which rod is better for single handed skagit and give it a go this spring

10. Likes mcnerney liked this post

As per the chart posted above I purchased a 300gr Airflo spey/switch sCOUT and 150' 30lb Airflo mono Impact running line.
    I'm know researching best ways to finish the set up. I really want to try a single hand 8wt skagit/spey caster in some tight spots this spring.

All info and advice is appreciated as am new to this type of casting. I will likely buy a 11' switch down the road but want to try a short type switch/skagit/spey on some tight GL tribs.

Any advice are info please feel free to offer.

Ontarioflyguy

Check out this video, it may help...

13. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Try an OPST Smooth line with a short -- 5' or 7.5' -- head. It softens the line splash down. To get flies down use the split shot below the fly drop shot style -- fewer hangups and the fly rides right in the fish's face.

ddb
    Last edited by ddb; 01-05-2019 at 02:23 PM.

15. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Kinda unfamiliar with this set up...so I assume I'm going to add a 100 yards or so of backing then attach to my 150' of 30lb mono running line then attach my Skagit Scout head. I figure I need possibly three heads from floating to sinking of different rates and then my leader. Going to do a few tests to figure out which rod is the more flexible overall....
    If anyone has any more input feel free.

Do you mean three different "tips" of varying weights to attach to the Skagit scout head?

ddb

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast