Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  17
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Which rod to make into single handed Switch

I mean 3 different tips to attach to Skagit Scout Head....Still trying to do research on here and elsewhere on how to set this all up. If it works right it will really help me out on a few streams/small rivers in my area.
    Life is too short to not own at least one piece of Hardy fly fishing gear

Think I have it figured out. Bought the 300 gr skagit scout and mono running line although may step up lb test of the running line from the 30lb I purchased. still researching on the tips to start out with but thinking of one floating for shallow waters and two different sink tips. I own Airflow 5' poly leaders or will make some of my own for the sink tips. Hopefully will be able to test out in the next month if it warms up here again. I decided to use the Fenwick Aetos to start out as, from what I researched, the GRXI is the stiffer of the two rods. Thanks for your help everyone and will be giving a go soon. Next step is a true switch rod

3. Likes Ard liked this post

I get what your trying to do. As far as which one of your two rods would be best only you can tell. Depends on your casting speed and style. I have the Fenwick Aetos 9 foot 8 weight and know it's a light and fast rod, I don't know much about the Greys GRXI+. I'd pick a head like Commando or Scout based on SH rod 8wt (275/300) and a mono running line like Stren Catfish 30# orange (inexpensive & good) also with that reel size I'd go all mono no backing to buy a little more room for the head. Then give it a try it on both rods. Go with the one that works the best for your style to stat with but after you use that setup for a while go back and try the other rod again just to make sure.
    Last edited by Jim Mc; 01-13-2019 at 04:29 PM.

Well just after buying the line for my 9' 8 wt to make into a switch rod I ended up getting an 11"1" switch rod so starting all over figuring best line to start with.....the amount of research spent into fishing lines would best be spent tying flies lol

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123